PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x284 LRH range report and accustock ?

35fan
12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
First time poster and wish everyone a Happy Holidays!

Received a Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma and took it out to the range for the first time yesterday. I used Black Hills 142 SMK ammo (listed specifically in the Savage gun manual).

Results were less than promising after getting it sighted in at 100 yards. 5 shot group was 3" vertical and 2" horizontal. As I was letting the barrel cool between shots I noticed the accustock was touching the left side of the barrel, that can't be good. The accustock also appears to have a pad built in at the end of the stock where it comes in final contact with the barrel. Mine is not free floated, is this standard?

Appreciate any thoughts, going to remove the action later today and take a look at the accustock.

Ed

davemuzz
12-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I've not actually seen nor touched an accustock......but if your barrel is touching any part of a stock......for sure that's why your groups are "gettin big." I'm sure others will chime in and either give you a fix, or tell you to take it back to where you bot it, or send it back to Savage. (Ie: Call Savage and they will tell you how to do that.)

But what you have right now is a problem.....but Savage will go out of their way to fix it and make you a happy camper!!!

k80skeet
12-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Both the accu-stocks I received from Savage on new rifles both were touching the barrel on the left side kind of poor quality control from Savage. I took the action out of the stock and sanded the left side of the stock until it wasn't touching the barrel before I took it to the range. This should have been done before it ever left the factory. It kind of looks as Savage has got more business than it can handle and letting the profit ahead of the quailty the have been known for. Really too bad and a big mistake on their part with all the price increases they have added in the last couple of years.

35fan
12-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Agree on it shouldn't have left the factory with the barrel in contact with the stock. Is the end of your accustock in contact with the barrel, ie the barrel channel looking down the bottom of the barrel to where it enters the stock?

35fan
12-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Removed excess rubber from the accustock aluminum frame and sanded out the barrel channel. Barrel is now free floated in the stock and the internal barrel bore is clean. Only have a few shells left but hopefully will get a chance to touch off a group in the morning.

Ed

Dennis
12-25-2011, 09:00 AM
How many rounds do you have down the tube?

The 6.5x284 should be a shooter, you may have to try different brands of ammo, or reload.

35fan
12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
I had a total of 13 rounds the first trip out. I fired 6 shots earlier today with the now free floated barrel with vastly different results! So now your thinking it is shooting nice tight groups, I wish.

The first shot on target from a cold and freshly cleaned and oiled bore was 3/4" left of center with 0 elevation, 2nd shot was 1/4 right of center 0 elevation, 3rd shot was touching 2nd shot just a shade to the right. At this point I'm grinning and I load another round thinking I'm going to put this one with shots 2 and 3! Not quite, shot 4 is 1" rt of center, 1/2" of elevation. Hmmm, let's put another round down range to see if it's in the same gneral area, shot 5 is 2.5" rt, 3/4" low elevation. Now I'm really scratching my head and send a 6th round down range and it cuts the edge of the paper, 4" rt and down 2".

So compared to the first day, there seemed to be much less elevation variance (discounting the 6th shot) but every round that I sent downrange walked to the right until almost off the paper.

Really scratching my noggin now. After the 6th shot I checked the rear action bolt and it wasn't as tight as the front bolt. Could that be the cause of the issue, not sure because I used up the box of ammo and will have to order more or break down and purchase a press and dies as well as a torque wrench.

Ed

JW
12-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I am not sure about the Long range hunter accustock but the older accustocks required an action screw tightening sequence
I think there is a thread at the top of the first page of the 110 section that gives the directions
not sure if it will help but if you have not already done this it might be worth a try
Jack

teebirdhyzer
12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
man, I know that is frustrating. I would probably take the stock off again, re install it using the tightening sequence found on here. Then make sure you are using a known good scope. After these two things, if your groups don't improve, I would send her back to Savage. good luck

barrel-nut
12-26-2011, 07:33 PM
man, I know that is frustrating. I would probably take the stock off again, re install it using the tightening sequence found on here. Then make sure you are using a known good scope. After these two things, if your groups don't improve, I would send her back to Savage. good luck

I agree with teebird, I think the windage adjustment mechanism has given up the ghost. Try another scope before you write off the rifle.

35fan
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Fiddled with the scope windage adjustment last night, it feels a little loose compared to the elevation adjustment. Hopefully swapping scopes will give me a clue.

robert d
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I have LRH same problem will not shoot good. Sent it back they test fired 125 gr bullet 3 shot held 1/2 inch. first of all the LHR made to shoot 140gr bullets not 125. next. my stock was also touching left side. I also have found that the reciol lug is bottoming out before action seated into rail of accustock. I do not think your scope is bad but could be, my bet is the fitting of the gun to the stock. savage has let there quality control get away from them. If the stock fit is bad you will wear your barrel out tring different loads to get it to shoot. MY gun is going to go back to them again. I have changed scopes done torque setting right.The gun will not keep from vert or horiz strings its just not right its going back again, plus the finish is coming off tthe gun looks like it got a bad sun burn. I have got it to shoot 1/2 inch groups about 1 out of 10 times not the the norm. Dont waist your time send it back.