PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

buckyne
12-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I stumbled upon a stevens 200 in 243 for $249 at the local scheels. Could not pass it up as I have been thinking about building my first LR rifle off of a stevens/savage action for long range deer, antelope etc. I now have a rem700 in 243, a stevens in 223 and the new stevens in 243.

My Q is the stevens each have different action screw spacing. The 223 has the older 4.25-4.27 in spacing and the 243 has the 4.4 in spacing. From what I can tell it is harder to find synthetic aftermarket stocks for the 4.4 spacing. Really just looking for a hunting profile stock and not one of the heavy benchrest/ varmint style stocks. Maybe the B&C medalist stock.

So I have been wondering if I could switch the 223 & 243 stevens barrels around so that I still have a 223 but it would be on the action with the 4.4 action. & then have the 243 on the action with the 4.27 in spacing so that I can rebarrel and get an aftermarket stock. Or I could go the other direction and just leave both stevens rifles as is and build off the remington.

Not really sure which would be the best way to go.

FW Conch
12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
buckyne, Stockys has great laminent thumbhole stocks for the 4.4" action, as well as the B &C. I have the sporter thumbhole & the
heavy varmit thumbhole & am very pleased with both of them. I also have the B & C Medalist, but it is more for heavy bench. Your idea
of switching barrels will work fine, it's just a matter of how you want to go with it. There are plenty of 4.4" stocks out there now.
Good Luck......Jim

teebirdhyzer
12-24-2011, 10:52 AM
You have the best possible scenario. With you having both types of actions and spacings, you can really do whatever you want. Just find the stock you like and swap your barrel if necessary. The 4.27/stagger feed spacing does have many more options.

jerkin
12-24-2011, 11:17 AM
If you want wood then you have a few choices for the centerfeed, good luck if you want synthetic. If you want anything other than the blind magazine in a synthetic forget about it unless it's a tactical stock. I couldn't find one and had to use a factory stock. I spoke with someone at Bell&Carlson about it and they told me there is no call for them, lol.

I understand that the molds cost money but come on, being the first one out there with a nice upgraded synthetic hunting type stock that would take a removable magazine or hinged floor plate would be big, especially if you offered a few different camo options. There are thousands of these guns out there and plenty of people looking to upgrade them. I also think Savage is missing the boat by not offering a camo option for the sporter barrel, they have it in the axis/edge, why not their main line?

I think your best bet is to swap barrels like you said, once you start looking around you'll find more options for the older action.

jonbearman
12-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Call stockade if you cant find anything.He will make it for you.

handirifle
12-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I spoke with someone at Bell&Carlson about it and they told me there is no call for them, lol.

They don't sell any so that must mean there's no call for them, right????? Or is it, there's no call for them, so they don't make them. Or is it, if people would buy them they would make them???

This is the same run around I have heard forever, being a lefty. Welcome to my world.

Usually, when businesses DO get adventurous they build the ugliest or worst model out there, and when no one buys it they say, "see we knew it wouldn't sell".