PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Length for laminate VLP Stock?

Locosmith
12-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Well I built a 300WSM on a model 10 lg shank action install a SSS lug and a gentry break, with hvy fluted barrel installed it in a laminate classic revalation stock I think sent off to be milled for DBM. Shot like a dream, make them touch at 100, then it shifted found the wood broken out behind the rear metal pillar at the top 1/2 inch. Not bedded what do you all think? loco

scratcherky
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Sounds as if the rear pillar was taking the recoil instead of the recoil lug.

Locosmith
12-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Thats what I think! You think bedding the lug and epoxy the rear pillar may save it? You can see where the wood behind the lug was taking some of the recoil and had full contact? Should I bed the rear pillar? loco

helotaxi
12-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Definitely start with the recoil lug. If there's room, consider replacing the rear pillar at this point with a larger diameter one that is epoxy bedded. Once all that is squared away, consider bedding the whole thing.

Locosmith
01-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Well I ordered a VLP to see if thats better. For sure there is more wood, and two spots on the side that look like plugs or dowels thru the stock to add support. I bedded the lug and it looks good, now I have a question? It's a DBM what are the bolts that are needed or the length. Mine are to short? Thanks loco

Locosmith
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Any part number from Midway or? Thanks Loco

GaCop
01-08-2012, 06:14 AM
You can get 1/4X28 bolts at True Value hardware. If you get the 1.25" or 1.5" you can cut it to length. Before cutting, screw a nut on the threads. That way you can unscrew the nut after the cut and it will remove burrs.