PDA

View Full Version : Boyds thumbhole centerfeed question

sledder12
12-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Just got a new Boyds stock and the little "L" clip that holds clip in factory stock does not fit in new stock. Do I need it in the new stock?

northlander
12-24-2011, 06:32 AM
The "L" Clip (magazine retaining clip) is used to secure the rear of the magazine box at the correct height for proper feeding. It also holds the rear of the receiver at the correct height once the "Clip" is installed. If you have a new Boyd's stock it may not have the pillar bedding that is standard in the Savage factory stocks. You will have to have your blind magazine stock inletted for this clip. Why not do it when you are installing the pillars.

Option two would be to have the new stock inletted for a DBM or Hinged Floorplate feed and then you will not need the magazine retaining clip.

Jim Briggs
NSS

cariss74
12-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Are you sure that you ordered the correct stock? I just received the same stock for Christmas and mine is milled out for the L clip. The only thing I had to do was clean out a little bit of the bottom where the magazine sits in the bottom of the stock.

ellobo
12-28-2011, 12:08 AM
You may have a stock for an older staggered feed stock that has the magazine fastened to the action. If you do you may have ordered the wrong stock by accident or they may have sent the wrong one. Call Boyds and ask, They are very helpfull.

El Lobo

put n the dog on
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
had the same problem once I insatalled pillars. I took an angle grinder and cut off the top portion right where it bends. Held it in place and shoved it down into the stock. Worked fine no feeding problems. Holds just as tight as before.

sledder12
12-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I just filed out the notch before installing pillars, it works great.