r29l20
12-23-2011, 04:53 PM
The single ports will be stiffer.

sharpshooter
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
How stiff is stiff enough?

Stockrex
12-23-2011, 06:09 PM
So the single port target is stiffer "THAN" the dual port action? So why is the dual port more expensive?
I am just curious, I was reading up on some F-Class rifles and saw some are built on the single port target action.

sharpshooter, you pose a great question, how much stiffness is enough for accuracy, if I remember correctly from previous discussions, the regular long action is stiff enough for match winning accuracy (??)

barrel-nut
12-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Dual port would require more machining. This may explain the higher cost.

Senderofan
12-23-2011, 07:36 PM
So the single port target is stiffer "THAN" the dual port action? So why is the dual port more expensive?
I am just curious, I was reading up on some F-Class rifles and saw some are built on the single port target action.

sharpshooter, you pose a great question, how much stiffness is enough for accuracy, if I remember correctly from previous discussions, the regular long action is stiff enough for match winning accuracy (??)

More machining to create the dual port would equal higher cost....not sure how much more "Stiffness" one needs in the action. I have a dual port on my 6 Dasher...really nice to load on the left and eject on the right...when shooting from the bench...when shooting in competition. I do not notice any difference between this one and my single port actions.

Guess it boils down to "Each their own"....if it makes you feel better to have a single port...go for it.

Wayne

Stockrex
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I have doing some reading and trying to understand if the action stiffness contributes better accuracy as savage says in their brochure. The brochure mentions that lrpv action is more accurate due to their stiffness.
Is this just marketing hype?

r29l20
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Yup.

82boy
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM

A BIG +1.

Cycler
01-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I guess it depends on what you are doing and how demanding your requirements. . Really competative bench rest shooters put heavy wall steel sleeves around Rem 700 actions (already a pretty stiff action) to stiffen them further or buy custom made target actions that are significantly stiffer than any factory mass-produced action.

82boy
01-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Really competative bench rest shooters put heavy wall steel sleeves around Rem 700 actions (already a pretty stiff action) to stiffen them further ...

Actualy that fad died out, it actuay didn't do a thing. (Evidence is you don't see anyone shooting them anymore.) It was a therory that people followed. And they didn't use Steel because it would make the gun way too heavy, majority of the sleaves were made out of aluminum. To go further, I have seen a few people still shoot thes old antique systems, and they are not that competitive.

In the custom action world the same arguement is being still made that a dual port has too much material removed to be stiff, and well the truth is looking at the equipement list it dont matter. Heck look at hunter class guns not only do they have a port, or two they also have a manditory magazine cut out, and they still shoot just as good.

What it all comes down to is an action only has to be stiff enough, and anything more than that is just overkill. When it all comes down to it in the accruacy departement the action has little to do with it, accuracy is found in barrels and bullets.

Cycler
01-27-2012, 09:27 PM
[Actualy that fad died out, it actuay didn't do a thing. (Evidence is you don't see anyone shooting them anymore.) It was a therory that people followed. And they didn't use Steel because it would make the gun way too heavy, majority of the sleaves were made out of aluminum. To go further, I have seen a few people still shoot thes old antique systems, and they are not that competitive.

In the custom action world the same arguement is being still made that a dual port has too much material removed to be stiff, and well the truth is looking at the equipement list it dont matter. Heck look at hunter class guns not only do they have a port, or two they also have a manditory magazine cut out, and they still shoot just as good.

What it all comes down to is an action only has to be stiff enough, and anything more than that is just overkill. When it all comes down to it in the accruacy departement the action has little to do with it, accuracy is found in barrels and bullets.
Thanks for the clarification and I guess my info was a bit out of date. Do the Hunter Class guns your refer to with their ports and magazine cut-outs really shoot as well as unlimited guns?

82boy
01-28-2012, 01:01 AM
[quote=Cycler Do the Hunter Class guns your refer to with their ports and magazine cut-outs really shoot as well as unlimited guns?
[/quote]

This is a bit harder to prove because hunter class guns shoot score and not for groups size. There is some diference such as stock, and also hunter class is limited to scope magnification. Looking at the NBRSA/IBS records. it looks like hunterclass and light and heavy varmint are all neck to neck in records of score, and x counts. I have also been told by a member of the NBRSA hunterclass hall of fame member that a hunterclass gun will shoot just as good as vamint gun.

Terry Balding
01-28-2012, 10:37 AM

Demand

In Benchrest shooting they are much faster.