PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Extractor?

jake23703
12-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Is there a source for after market extractors. Mine broke and I went ahead and ordered a new extractor, spring and ball from Savage. I'm confident that I will launch the ball and spring when I replace it, so I figured it was worth the extra couple of bucks to have spares.

I've read that Savage Extractors are prone to breaking and I was curious if there is a source for a higher quality part than factory.

bajabill
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Mine was dinged up from a gogage (steel harder than the brass bullets and apparently harder than the extractor lip)

I bought one from Midway, I dont know if it is better than the original or not. There were a few offers here recently of members offering simple ball bearings as replacement balls (even slightly oversize ones if you search you may find the concerns related to this). I did not ever lose a spring.

Tnslim
12-23-2011, 01:09 PM
While cleaning the gunroom looking for the ejector I found an extractor ball that shot over my shoulder two months ago. Never found the ejector. Thankfully I had a supply of the oversized balls that a member so graciously sent me.

82boy
12-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Sharp Shooters Supply is making an aftermarket ejector, it is a piece that will correct most ejection problems. It is well made, and is upgrade from the factory ejector. They dont show them on their web site, you have to call them or send an email.
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

5spd
12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
To prevent loss of said parts, put bolt in a gallon ziplock bag and remove/install in it. If you slip you aint a going to loose parts in space.

jake23703
12-23-2011, 06:32 PM
To prevent loss of said parts, put bolt in a gallon ziplock bag and remove/install in it. If you slip you aint a going to loose parts in space.

Good idea.

I managed to assemble a couple of AR lowers without losing anything, but I have a couple of spare AR spring and pin kits because Murphy is alive and well in my house.