PDA

View Full Version : New and old Bolts

Bo61
12-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Just tried my first 2 builds with a buddy. 30-06 to 35 Whelen on a 110CL went fine. 308 to 338 Fed went down hill fast. After ripping the pins off the barrel nut wrench resorted to a cut off tool to remove the barrel nut. 1st problem solved. Today when the McGowen 338 Fed. barrel arrrived, learned that before 1967 the bolt/extractor/ejector system is different.

What's my next step? Send the barrel back to have the needed .25" cut made for my old bolt and the chamber re-cut in the barrel? Convert my bolt head? (Which doesn't sem to piece out at first glance) Or just buy another action when I magically find some extra cash?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bo

ps. When I called Wheeler Eng to ask about torque wrench placement and how much torque was required strip their wrench they said more than the nut and the nut shuld fail first. After they heard my story they have offered to send a new wrench.

GaCop
12-23-2011, 06:17 AM
I believe you'll have less headaches going with a newer action for the build. You can use the old bolt head but the barrel at the breach will have to be milled for the bolt head to recess into and an extractor cut made. More cost than it's worth. I'd look for a used Stevens 200 long action in the classifieds and use it for the build. To access the classifieds, you'll have to be a paid member but, it's the best $12 you'll ever spend.

Welcome to the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut".