PDA

View Full Version : 110 30-06 to 7mm Rem Mag built project - Brain storm session

Pages : 1 [2]

Nandy
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I hunt with a fouled barrel so the clean part should not be a factor.
Thanks for you help.

Salvo
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I dunno about the clean barrel thing. I once owned a .300wm that would shoot the first three rounds out of a cold barrel into 1/2", every time.

There were only one or two occasions where I ever fired more than three rounds out of that rifle at a time, always at the range. It liked Federal Premium 180 grn. loads so well that I saw no reason to buy dies for it, in order to develop a hand-load.

I tried an experiment... It was sent off to have a 'decelerator' recoil pad installed, and have the barrel Magna-Ported.

These had absolutely no effect upon the guns accuracy, when it came back, but it felt a lot more like a 30-06 or a .270 to shoot after that. It still had the same magnum muzzle blast and concussion though, if not slightly more with the barrel porting.

I cleaned the rifle with Hoppes #9, and felt that the Hoppes was oily enough for the 24" stainless tube, so I did not run an oily patch down the bore after cleaning. Maybe that's part of my luck with the rifle's cold barrel performance.

After using half a box to sight it in, the rifle was cleaned every three rounds after that for the entire time that I owned it. The hunt I bought the rifle for fell through though, and I sold it later on to a fellow who was planning an elk hunt.

stangfish
12-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Depending on the brake you may need to mark TDC on your barrel(bdc would work as well). Some brakes need to have the ports at the horizontal position. Then there is the option of just having your barrel threaded and installing the brake with a crush washer so that you can index the ports yourself.