PDA

View Full Version : New barrel for a 1962 model

tpepper70
12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a 1962 model 110 in 30-06 that I want to re-barrel. I've searched and searched and can't get a straight answer as to what barrel will work. I've been told that, due to the difference in the bolt head, a newer, post 65, 110 barrel will not work. Then I've been told that any barrel will work. Can someone please shed some light on this subject? I'd really like to know if I can or not. Thanks, tpepper

ellobo
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
I beleive they had a completly different extractor and ejector system compared to today but I have no idea if this effects a barrel swap or not. Hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

El Lobo

tpepper70
12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Yes sir. The bolt head looks different than the newer ones. I think that is what keeps the newer barrels from being used. I wonder if I could change the bolt or bolt head to make work? Hopefully someone will chime in. Thanks for the reply. tpepper

keeki
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
never looked into this one, but if the thread pitch is the same I dont see why it wouldnt work

LHitchcox
12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
The inside of the breech end will have to be milled to accept the bolt nose. I have one that was rebarreled before I got it. Looks totally different from what we are used to seeing in a Savage action and bolt. Numrich has a few barrels for it, but a good smith mill fit a barrel for it.

keeki
12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I was thinking the only way it wouldnt work is if the bolthead actually engaged with the chamber.

tpepper70
12-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Would it work with a new bolt and barrel or is the action different also?

LHitchcox
12-21-2011, 07:04 PM
A bolt and barrel would do it, but that is getting above the value of the rifle. They do however have much better looking stocks that later rifles. I don't like the fake bottom metal that sits over a solid bottom stock, but I love the way mine shoots. The trigger was weird too, but that is another story.

kweeks10045
12-23-2011, 04:31 PM
You have a "J" series action. Fred at SSS might be able to make you a barrel. They barrel will have to be custom made, no one sells a pre-chambered barrel for it that I know of, and, I have looked everywhere!

sharpshooter
12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
That is not a J series....the J series were after 1966.
The bolt head is different and so is the bolt body. The cross pin hole differs by 90 degrees. You can update with a new bolt body and bolt head parts, but the bolt head will need to be drilled out for the larger firing pin. Other wise a barrel must be configured for that style.

geargrinder
12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
You'll need 3 things. A barrel, bolt, and magazine.

Yes, a magazine. The older style has a spring loaded ejector that is built into the magazine.

Here's a picture of the two different styles of bolt head. Notice the cross pin and locking lug orientation. You'll also notice the one on the right stands a little taller. That's because the nose of it goes into a counter bore of the barrel like a Remington. That's why you can't use a newer style barrel in an older action without swapping bolts.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001626.jpg

tpepper70
12-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help. Since this rifle has less than 100 rounds thru it and is prisitine, I think I'll just keep it like it is and find another to customize. Thanks so much again and I hope all had a very Merry Christmas. God Bless, tpepper