PDA

View Full Version : New Left Hand Offerings for 2012

bowslngr
12-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Don't know if anyone else has posted this already, but has anyone noticed that Savage has once again ponied-up for the left handed shooters out there? For 2012 they are offering left handed versions of the 220 slug gun, the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP series and the 10/110 Predator Hunter series. In the case of the Trophy Hunter and Predator Hunter, I think this is the first time we have seen a major manufacturer offer a lefty in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Finally!!

Thanks Savage!

helotaxi
12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately they're now charging a premium for left handed rifles. Not much but it's the principle.

Cycler
12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately they're now charging a premium for left handed rifles. Not much but it's the principle.
Well, the principle is that they sell a lot fewer left-handed rifles than right handed ones and they have to charge a bit more to cover the inventory and stocking costs. My take is that I'm so happy to have a wider choice in left-handed guns that a reasonable premium is well worth it.

I first got into Savage rifles back in the 60's when they were the only reasonably priced left-handed bolt action maker and the alternative was a custom gunsmith conversion of a Mauser or Win 70 at FAR higher cost.

helotaxi
12-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes, but how is it that last year they didn't cost more to stock, etc... and this year they do? The tooling costs were absorbed a long time ago.

patd
12-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that they will offer a lefty lrp in the near future.

bowslngr
12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that they will offer a lefty lrp in the near future.

Yes. That would really be great!! For now, I will be in the market for a predator hunter in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 when they eventually make it to dealers. I bought my wife a right handed one last year in 6.5 and it is a terrific shooter.

ba_50
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I too am happy to see more options for the LH shooter, but not the price. The only practical difference between the Predator and a 700 sps varmint is the barrel weight and lengths, yet the Sps can be had for $200 less. That leaves almost enough for a wood stock and better trigger. The Savage barrel is a better choice for coyote hunting though.

quickkillaught6
01-09-2012, 09:25 PM
being a right hander and left eye dominant i can shoot either, and with savage having dual port this and left bolt right eject that it seems that all the weapons would cost the same no matter? IM overjoyed that they are making more options for us south paws but at a cost??? Strange i guess...beat the s outa me

Slowpoke Slim
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
They cost more because Savage has to recruit and hire a whole separate line of left handed machinists to make them...

:D

quickkillaught6
01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Lmfao slim! I knew someone had a reasonable explanation

helotaxi
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
And let me guess, the left-handed machinists' union demanded a pay raise this year?

J.Baker
01-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Simply put, Savage has gotten more and more greedy as their popularity and demand has increased. Prices have been going up year after year for several years now even though raw material costs have come back down, and when you're the hottest game in town you can get away with it. Yes they may lose some sales from their loyal long-time customers over it, but they're more than making up from it from new customers who have jumped on the Savage bandwagon in the past few years.

quickkillaught6
01-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Yep the good ol days of the $350 savage target rifle are defiantly over sadly with te edge/axis line with lil to no mods the base line customizable (feesable) rifle will run ya at least $600ish but for the accuracy and barrel nut I like the way they feel beater than the rest