PDA

View Full Version : bore snake

Pages : [1] 2

mytyace
12-20-2011, 12:59 AM
what do you think of bore snakes. are they better in a rifle so as not to risk hurting the bore with a rod?

ellobo
12-20-2011, 01:58 AM
They are OK for a cleanup after a session at the range or at hunting camp when you cant do a detail cleaning with a rod. A rod with a bore guide will not hurt your bore. Using a rod clean from the breech end if you dont have a bore guide to put on your rod and insert into the muzzle.

El Lobo

Dennis
12-20-2011, 04:06 AM
They are OK for a cleanup after a session at the range or at hunting camp when you cant do a detail cleaning with a rod.

I agree with the above, they do not clean the carbon or all the copper out like a good through cleaning.

r29l20
12-20-2011, 05:00 AM
This is what I do. I use the next size down in bore size. Otherwise they get a little tight for my liking. It's not a replacement for a proper cleaning by any means. JMTC.

82boy
12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
They make good paper weights, and thats about it.

Carvera
12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Wish I knew how to invest in the paper weight business, the bore snake and like items seem to sell really well. While obviously not for everyone, they do serve a purpose.

janizary
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I use them at the range for a quick pass-through if I've been shooting a lot of rounds, between sets. Also use for the first pass when I go to clean after the range. The puff of crap that comes out with the bore snake tells me its at least pulling out a bunch of loose stuff, which in my book equals less patches as I move on to the regular cleaning process ;)

82boy
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
They do serve a purpose, they work great on shotguns, 22 rimfire, and some pistols, but they are worthless for a rilfe.

barrel-nut
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Wish I knew how to invest in the paper weight business, the bore snake and like items seem to sell really well. While obviously not for everyone, they do serve a purpose.

I think they sell really well because they give the casual shooter the impression that they are doing a thorough cleaning job all in one easy step. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I agree with 82boy, in that they are probably a good choice for the deer hunter who shoots his auto loader once or twice a year, only if there's a deer in his sights. Not knocking this type of guy, I have several friends in this category. Just that there's little need for intensive "real" cleaning for somebody for whom a box of shells lasts five years, and this with some oil on it will keep their bore from rusting in the off season.

Stockrex
12-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I use it to ensure that the barrel is somewhat clean before I shot my vintage mil rifles (semi-auto) few times a year.

cooker900
12-20-2011, 08:12 PM
like other have said for a quick clean there great. if you dont like a rod check out the otis system

mytwo60
12-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Just curious if anyone actually done a before and after comparison using this bore snake. Example would be: Yes, I've used it and it cleaned 10% of the carbon because I did xyz to prove it. Or, no I have not used it and I'm just repeating what some john smith said at the range.

barrel-nut
12-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I own several of these, along with some quality cleaning gear as well. I don't know how one would quantify cleanness, but I do know that the bore snake is not the correct tool for removing embedded fouling like copper. It's ok for removing light carbon fouling, but that's about it. And the "brass brush" section on mine is very hard and tight fitting in the bore, to the point that there's no way I'd run it through my better barrels for fear of gouging them.

stangfish
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Just curious if anyone actually done a before and after comparison using this bore snake. Example would be: Yes, I've used it and it cleaned 10% of the carbon because I did xyz to prove it. Or, no I have not used it and I'm just repeating what some john smith said at the range.

LOL. Exactly!

I don't use the snake either but due to speculation of the potential scoring of the minor diameter, not so much because of science. ChromeMoly barrels might be as hard as 25/30 rockwell making the brush portion a non issue, but.....
I have started using bore paste and was currious as to others experience on that as well.

Grit #1
12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Why would you want to pull a dirty, possibly sand ladden, rag through the bore of a perfectly good barrel. Not me! I push a patch through once and discard it, I wipe the rod off each time prior going down the tube. Keep it surgically clean and you will not ruin your barrel.
Best regards,
Grit

Eric in NC
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Why would you want to pull a dirty, possibly sand ladden, rag through the bore of a perfectly good barrel. Not me! I push a patch through once and discard it, I wipe the rod off each time prior going down the tube. Keep it surgically clean and you will not ruin your barrel.
Best regards,
Grit

+1

Everything it ever "cleans" out of the bore gets embedded in the snake and pulled back through. I guess you could wash and dry it after every single pass, but that is pretty pointless. Would rather use the old patch puller and thong setup that the military used to use.

fyimo
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
I use bore snakes for a quick clean up after a visit to the the range on my pistols and even my rifles. I do a major clean up on all my rifles with the cealning rod and bore brush at the end of the hunting seasons. I guess I'm not one who goes to the range for a day of high power rifle shooting all that often as mine are hunting rifles and they usually get zeroed in and then shot very little during the seaon.

big honkin jeep
12-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I like em but they are definitely no substitute for a good rod. I use them in conjunction with a little Hoppes on the front end and they turn black which tells me they are cleaning crap out of my barrel. I usually use them when ladder testing for a quick pass between different charge weights and bullets to try and keep things consistent. I don't wash em after every pass but do wash em after every range session probably 50-100 rounds per caliber. If you use them right and take care of them they do a pretty good job.
They definitely don't take the place of a rod though. This was a lesson learned the hard way on an annual out of state hunt in the middle of nowhere. My long seated handloads left a bullet jammed in the lands of my 30-06 when I unloaded my rifle. All I had was a bore snake and wound up having to hunt with my back up rifle. I keep a cleaning rod in my rifle case now whether hunting or just a trip to the range.

Slowpoke Slim
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I use them on my 22 rimfires and usually have one in my pack if I'm hunting with one of my single shot Contenders, but that's about it. I use a quality rod and rod guide for everything else. I also use the Sinclair's bolt raceway cleaner tool for my bolt guns.

bigedp51
12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
The British used a bore snake (pull through) to clean the Enfield rifle, if the cord rubs the muzzle end of the bore it acts like sand paper and causes muzzle wear damage. Please look at the seventh defect down from the top of the list below *W (cord worn)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/pullthrough01.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/pullthrough.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Page12Secs63-64.jpg