PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Which Mark II: FV or FV-SR?

BoilerUP
12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Thinking about building a 22LR trainer now that Manners is offering the MCS-T4 for the Mark II E-Receiver guns.

Nobody local to me seems to have these in stock so I'll probably buy from Bud's; the -SR is $82 more than the plain jane FV.

So, help me make the decision: the longer barreled FV and buy $82 worth of ammo, or the -SR for the shorter, fluted, threaded barrel and oversized bolt knob?

janizary
12-20-2011, 12:05 PM
The fluting on my two FV-SRs and TR are so light as to nothing more than decorative. Unless you like the 'look' I wouldn't even use that as a factor.

I DO like the bolt knob on my SRs and TR much better than the standard bolt knob on my FSS.

It may be luck of the draw, but my first FV-SR is the 'most accurate' (more consistant groups may be a better way of putting it) of all of my MKIIs.

Will you be using a can?

BoilerUP
12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Not immediately on the can - I want to get one badly (I understand you start with 22LR because its the cheapest way to get into the addiction) but it'll be mid-year 2012 before I save up enough for one, then 4+ months of waiting for the Form 4, and you can see where I'm going.

BoilerUP
01-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I saw an FV-SR at my local gun shop with a Huntertown Guardian suppressor attached...the ask was $500 for the combo but it gave me a good idea what the rifle and rifle+can looked like.

Last night I saw Bud's had dropped the price of the FVSR down to $197...hard to resist at that price so one is on its way to me.

Now...to go with a Guardian or go with the Gemtech Outback II the gun shop also had on the shelf...

Rob Rat
01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I just got my Huntertown Guardian last week (after a 6 month NFA wait) and so far I like it. I shot it for the first time today on my GSG1911, and I must say I'm impressed! I shot without ear pro, and even with some supersonic stuff, it was pretty quiet. About all could hear was the action on the pistol, and a thud from the bullet hitting the backer. I shot a lot of CCI Standard Velocity, and it was nice and quiet. I've got to find someone to thread ALL my 22's!

Looking for a threaded rifle host...looking real hard at the FVSR, thanks for the heads up.

If Savage would make a straight comb synthetic stock for their 22's, that would be an awesome rifle. I like more cheek weld than that scope gives me with a scope. The Syn stock is great for opens, but just too low for my tastes.

BoilerUP
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the report on the Guardian...it seems to have gotten good reviews and compares well with other popular 22LR cans. Hard to beat for <$200 it would seem...

janizary
01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Last night I saw Bud's had dropped the price of the FVSR down to $197...hard to resist at that price so one is on its way to me.

Glad to see you caught it at that price. Price has jumped back up to ~$230 as of this morning. Frankly, if I'd seen the FV-SR at that price, I probably would have picked up a third one for myself to add to the coral. Didn't see the price until I was visiting RFC this morning.

Good luck and post your results!

BoilerUP
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
My FV-SR arrived today. First impression is that its a nice, light, handy rifle, seems well built and the Accutrigger nicely replicates my 10FP long-range rifle. I dig the tacticool bolt knob, but the bolt seems stiff, especially when closing. Perhaps with a couple hundred rounds downrange it'll break in.

Put a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil on it with medium Signature Zee rings and with the tall EGW base the whole package is waaaaaay too high for the downward-sloping buttstock.

Hopefully tomorrow I can go send some downrange with my wife as she christens her 10/22 with pink Hogue stock that she got (asked!) for Christmas.

Hopefully by the end of April a Manners T4 from the SnipersHide group buy will arrive for my FV-SR and then I'll be totally fixed up with the ultimate rimfire trainer!

sgreen3
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
If you plan on getting a can for it go with the SR, If not save the extra money and get 80 bucks worth of ammo

alpining
03-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Agreed that the 'fluting' is cosmetic. My FVSR came with a picatinny rail, too, which saved a bit of cash. I 'think' that the finish on the FVSR is rougher than on the FV, but I never had them side by side to compare.

I found that the oversize bolt knob was much more likely to catch and drag itself open while shoulder carrying. Maybe not an issue for your purposes, but I didn't like that at all. I might have been able to tweak it so as to increase the friction holding the bolt in place, but I sold the rifle before getting around to it.

I think the FVSR is a lot of fun, and easily worth the additional cost over the FV (especially if you are using the threaded muzzle). It's only $20 difference where I live.

yoter
07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
I chose the FVSR for the short heavy barrel. Accurate, yet compact and easy to carry all day long in the field.

felkebg
09-09-2013, 10:10 AM
If you do get the FV-SR, I recommend the SWR Spectre II can. The 22 LR is so inherently dirty that the stainless steel baffles and a unique sealed baffle snap system make cleaning a breeze. Search for it on YouTube and watch the comparisons and cleaning vids. PLUS it can handle all of the compatible calibers and it does well on both both rifles and pistols. Note: not all cans handle both equally on suppression. I will be dead before this unit wears out because it is so well constructed. I got a family trust going on my NFA application so my sons can inherit it without paying the stamp tax. PS processing was 5.5 months on mine but my dealer is talking 3 months transfer to him and 7 months processing due to the country going broke and needing to lay off people who process this paperwork. On a good note mine is Hollywood quiet shooting subsonic rounds!