PDA

View Full Version : reduce barrel length....affect accuracy?

teebirdhyzer
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a 26" barrel that is shooting really well, and I am thinking about chopping about 4" off of it so I can make a more suitable hunting/carry rifle. It's varmint contour, so the rifle is pretty heavy and combersome in a stand. Would cutting and recrowning change a barrel's accuracy? I can see where it might alter the harmonics, and possible require tweaking on the load development. But, If the barrel is accurate, it would most like remain accurate.....this is my main question?
thanks guys

Eric in NC
12-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Folks will say making it shorter will make it stiffer and more accurate.

In my world - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

stangfish
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
....and it is a savage. You could buy another barrel and sell the one you have to get the rifle you really want. Or keep it and two for the price of another barrel. Good luck.

ellobo
12-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I doubt if accuracy would suffer, if anything it may improve. Plan on losing a few hundred ft per second velocity if you chop it to 22".

El Lobo

243LPR
12-18-2011, 10:09 PM
What cartridge?Some lose more than others in short barrels. You may have to change to a faster powder to keep velocity up.

MrMajestic
12-19-2011, 12:11 AM
The short answer, No. If it is not crowned properly, yes. Also the velocity will be reduced and may put you out of the node, if so, Yes. Short and stiff was a fad however more long range accuracy buffs now seem to like the velocity gains of a longer barrel to help defeat the wind. Elevation is easy, just a few more clicks. The wind requires knowledge and skill so any help with it is a plus.

teebirdhyzer
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
good info guys. many thanks.

squirrelsniper
12-19-2011, 12:47 AM
It will change the harmonics, but whether it will help or hurt accuracy just depends on the individual barrel and exactly where it's cut.

FWIW, a fairly common accurizing technique when a barrel isn't shooting well is to cut a bit off the muzzle (usually about .5") then recrown and try it. If it still doesn't shoot, cut off a little more, recrown, and shoot. Basically it's a non-reversible method of tuning the harmonics. Eventually you'll either find a place the barrel shoots to your standards or you'll run out of barrel length to play with.

teebirdhyzer
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
thanks again all. The reason for my interest in this option is that I have a recently purchased e.r. shaw barrel from the group buy in .243 win. I had purchased it for a tactical/long range type build that is is no on. It is shooting fantastic! I have worked up a load with berger vld 105's that it shoot a .275" group, so it's pretty accurate in my book. I was toying with the idea of using this barrel for a medium range whitetail rig (300yds and under) but due to the 26" length and weight, I would probably like to chop some off to make it a little handier.

Blue Avenger
12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
one of the most accurate barrels I have ever owned was a 10" .223 TC Encore 1"@300 yards with 35gr ballistic tips.really an odd combination that worked.

243LPR
12-20-2011, 07:20 PM
What's the twist on the Shaw barrel.My 9.25 barrel is shooting 95 gr vld's great but was a little hesitant to go up in weight.

teebirdhyzer
12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
it's a 1 in 8 twist.

Don - LongRangeSupply
12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I have a 26" barrel that is shooting really well, and I am thinking about chopping about 4" off of it so I can make a more suitable hunting/carry rifle. It's varmint contour, so the rifle is pretty heavy and combersome in a stand. Would cutting and recrowning change a barrel's accuracy? I can see where it might alter the harmonics, and possible require tweaking on the load development. But, If the barrel is accurate, it would most like remain accurate.....this is my main question?
thanks guys

Every factory heavy barrel I have shortened shot BETTER than the original length.

Sundo
12-20-2011, 11:58 PM
If it's shooting .275 inch groups at 100 yds, I would hesitate to put even a scratch in the barrel, let alone cut it shorter.

Just buy another, sporter contour, barrel for hunting.

fyimo
12-21-2011, 12:59 AM
If I had that gun I would agree with Sundo and leave it as it is as rifles that shoot quater inch groups at 100 yards are fairly rare and should be treated as such.

helotaxi
12-21-2011, 07:10 AM
You may have to change to a faster powder to keep velocity up.

It doesn't work that way. Seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. If you go to a faster powder, all you do is decrease the rise time on the pressure curve and increase the drop rate on the back side of the curve. Since peak pressure is your limiting factor and area under the pressure curve is what gives you velocity, going to a faster powder will actually decrease velocity.

Optimum powder for a cartridge is determined by the case capacity, bore to case volume ratio and bullet weight. Barrel length does not play a part in it at all. What gives you the best velocity in a long barrel will give you the best velocity in a shorter barrel. If you have access to QuickLoad you can mess around with it a bit to see what I'm talking about. The pressure curve doesn't change with barrel length and the peak pressure is reached very soon after the bullet has left the case.