PDA

View Full Version : Problems with holes for scope base

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I know this is a fairly common problem and I want to get some feedback as to how any of you have corrected the problem. I have a Savage 10FP and I shoot it quite often, and there is one thing that has begun to bother me. The 4 holes that Savage drilled and tapped for the scope base are not correctly aligned with the bore. I switch between shooting 110gr and 168gr bullets and this causes me to use 4" elevation and 2" windage. I have noticed the clicks on my Bushnell 3200 are not perfect and I believe the misaligned base is the culprit. There is only 2.5" of windage available to the right and because I am using a 20 MOA base but am shooting at 100 yards the elevation is nearly bottomed out as well. I would like to get this fixed in 2 weeks time or less and am weary of shipping the gun due to its weight and added delay. I am in San Antonio. Any recommendations?

EFBell
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Signature rings with offset bushings

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Thats what I am using but I want to fix the problem not just band aid it.

oldguy
11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Are you positive its the holes,had same problem with my Model 12 and it was a problem with barrel fit, I spent many hours trying different scopes, bases,etc, returned to Savage they replaced barrel now barrel is aligned with receiver and she is a shooter, 50 days from day sent until return.

dfrosch
11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
...I am using a 20 MOA base but am shooting at 100 yards the elevation is nearly bottomed out ...

This could be the source of all your woes. Scopes don't act right at the end of travel. Get a zero MOA base and put the scope back in its center.

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 08:26 PM
This could be the source of all your woes. Scopes don't act right at the end of travel. Get a zero MOA base and put the scope back in its center.

I know the scope nearly tapped out on windage and elevation. Trying to fix the windage first though.

Blue Avenger
11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
move the mount 1/4" and redrill

oldguy
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I used a Leupold base with windage adjustment it worked but in truth just a patch not solving
the problem, now I can switch bases and/or scopes from gun to gun without problems,my advice
take the time and have it repaired correctly.

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I used a Leupold base with windage adjustment it worked but in truth just a patch not solving
the problem, now I can switch bases and/or scopes from gun to gun without problems,my advice
take the time and have it repaired correctly.

Exactly.