PDA

View Full Version : Barrel replacement kits.

Will-Seattle
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the barrel kits that are available through Brownell's. There is a sporter barrel, barrel wrench, and Go/No Go gauges in the kit for about $200. Does anyone know who makes the barrels? Any bad reviews that the wrench, gauges, etc...?

I am fairly new to Savage rifles. I must admit that I looked down on them for years because of the barrel nut. Now that I have done some reading on the whole set up of their barrels, it becomes evident that Savage has a very good system.

I recently bought one the Choate stocked 308 rifles from Cabela's. I love that rifle. Even as a very inexperienced reloader, using Winchester brass, Federal Match primers, SMK 175, and IMR 4064, it was easy to get 1/2 inch groups with this rifle.

I was wanting to pick up a sporter barrel 'just in case' I want to try something different.

Any info on these kits would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Pay $12 for access to the classifieds and you can get a sporter barrel here for alot cheaper than that.

Corprin
11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Pay $12 for access to the classifieds and you can get a sporter barrel here for alot cheaper than that.

+1

I have seen sporter take-offs sell for as little as $35 in the classifieds.

jpdown
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Nothing wrong with the barrel kits. Based on what I've read, the barrels are most likely manufactured by ER Shaw, since most are 24". As already mentioned, you can pick up a Savage factory take-off sporter barrel from this sites classified's for $50 to $75. Plus there are several technical "how to" articles on Savage barrel swapping. Order the wrench and go, no-go gages online from Midway. You will most likely need an action wrench or barrel vise to make it easier to remove the barrel nut the first time. Then you'll be set up to switch out Savage Pre-fit barrels at will. And 1/2" groups and less are fairly common with the Savage and fine-tuned reloads. Welcome to the Savage fan club.