PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brakes and Recoil

Pages : 1 [2]

johndoe3
11-25-2009, 11:56 PM
From the AAC silencer website:

Contrary to popular belief, silencers are and always have been legal to own under federal law. At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Of the fourteen states that do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, MA, MO, and MI allow Class 3 dealers and Class 2 manufacturers to possess silencers.

I own my suppressors through a Revocable Living Trust (made using Quicken Willmaker, pre-2010). With a trust you do not need the LEO signoff, fingerprint cards, or photograph. The cost is the same, $200 to BATFE. The Trustee of the Trust can use the suppressors, and so can co-Trustees when allowed by the Trust language. It's a way to allow a friend or family member to use the suppressor without you there. With a revocable trust you can add or sell items from the Trust, and ownership is by the Trust.

Cycler
11-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Does a suppressor require a license?
It certainly does. You have to register it just like a full- auto firearm or a "sawed off" shotgun or rifle. All of these are covered by the National firearms Act of 1934

zuba
11-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Here is a pistol chambered in 338x300 wsm shooting a 250 accubond. this is with the muscle brake from centershot rifles...
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/mattzuba/th_DSCF5495.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/mattzuba/?action=view&current=DSCF5495.flv)

yorketransport
11-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Contrary to popular belief, silencers are and always have been legal to own under federal law. At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY.

The trick is that you can own the suppressor, but not necessarily use it. That's the way the law is here in Washington. Sure you can pay your money and jump through all of the hoops, you just can't actually use the suppressor on a weapon. Nobody understands this, but that's just the way it is here.

Andrew

johndoe3
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
yorketransport,
Washington State is the only State that has a law like that. It seems awfully dumb doesn't it? I know people in WA who own suppressors and drive to Oregon or Idaho to shoot their weapons with their suppressors. Others shoot clandestinely in WA State with suppressors in remote places where they wouldn't get caught. People who live there need to get someone in their legislature onboard and change the State law to allow shooting too in the State with their suppressor. After all, it's a safety issue, since it preserves hearing. Do it for the children! ;)

yorketransport
12-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Now I'm just mad! I thought that there had to be other states with similar laws. >:( I've still come awfully close to getting a suppressor then making the trek out of state to use it. Because I would never use it in the garage, with 22 subsonics and a bullet trap. :-X ;)

Andrew

sleepygator
12-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Muzzle brake efficiency and effectiveness are determined by three factors:

1. Capture ratio - how much propellant gas is diverted vs. that which follows the bullet
2. Muzzle pressure - the remaining propellant gas pressure at bullet exit that is available for the muzzle brake to act upon. The higher the pressure, the more work the brake can accomplish.
3. Design efficiency - how well the muzzle brake handles the gas flow

Generally, the smaller diameter and lighter the projectile and the larger the propellant mass, the more effective the brake can be. When muzzle brakes are very efficient, it causes other problems. The propellant energy can be redirected but not eliminated. If they are efficient, they are very loud. The pressure region shifts from the muzzle to produce large lobes beside and behind the brake. This could even be dangerous to shooters on either side.

brian697
06-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Very good info, thank you!