PDA

View Full Version : Help with barrel threading problem

redie fredie
12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a barrel that I've had on two other actions, went to put it on another action (hopefully to stay) but it wouldn't thread in all the way, not even on the barrel nut. If I used a barrel vise that might help, but short of buying a tap and die (probably cost prohibitive) what can I do/try? ???

thirty06
12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
What brand barrel?
I believe it was Mcgowen that on some of them you had to knock the threads down with with a little sandpaper.

Blue Avenger
12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
did you dent it with the scope base screw?

redie fredie
12-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Savage 110 barrel
I'll look but no I don't think the scope base screw hit.

May try freezing the barrel

CAPTBEACH
12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
You might try "chasing" the threads with a very small needle file, then I'd probably try knocking the tops of the threads off with some sandpaper like was mentioned above. It may not be your barrel, it may be your action.

redie fredie
12-17-2011, 10:24 AM
the crazy thing is, it's the barrel nut too!!!???
I need to give the threads a close look and measure up the Diameter and stuff I think.
I ran a thread file (20tpi)over it but..no go.
Maybe run a file like you said CAPTBEACH

stangfish
12-17-2011, 02:39 PM
My inclination is to determine which component is the problem. A methodical approach should always be used when troubleshooting. Don't freak out and start guessing.

You have stated that this barrel fit two other actions. How many different nuts were used? What changed? try and determine if it is the action and nut or the barrel.

If it is the barrel what is the exact location of the hang. Mark the location with a marker if needed. Look for imperfections, dents, thread locker etc... Count the threads...identify the problem! Try some thread lubricant, the barrel nut and a small (brass preferably) hammer. Lightly tap the threads while turning back and forth over the problem area. Clean repeat untill it coes on smooth.

If it is the action count the threads where the barrel stopped. Get a good light source and a small mirror. Look over the threads. Try the same thing with the barrel and action using thread dope. Back and forth lightly tap the bottom side of the action while working it back and forth.

The key's being patience, observation and being methodical.

Good luck

okie2
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Compare the barrel that was in that action to the barrel that will not fit.

noelfr
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Any chance you are trying to put a large shank bbl into a small shank action?

redie fredie
12-29-2011, 11:58 PM
FYI:
Chased threads with a mini file and thread file
Must have got buggered thread out 'cause was able to assemble it.
Thanks all ;D