PDA

View Full Version : 10FLP vs. 12FLV

Muchos Pistolas
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
All,

I have been lurking a while and this is my first post. Tons of great Savage info here. Getting back into rifles and Savage has certainly caught my eye. Few questions for guys. I am going to purchase a 223 for shooting paper out to 300 to 400 yards and varmits. Is the action the same between the 10FLP and the 12FLV? If they are in fact different, what are the differences? (yes, I am a lefty).

Also, will there be any accuracy difference between the 2 out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

82boy
11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
They are the same.
The difference is: the finish, barrel length, and a extra sling swivel, and that is it.

LG
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
They are the same.
The difference is: the finish, barrel length, and a extra sling swivel, and that is it.

+1

I have both in the RH versions: 10FP and 12FV. More specifically, the differences are:

10FP: 24" barrel, matte black finish (looks like parkerizing), extra sling swivel (for bipod)
12FV: 26" barrel, polished blued finish

Muchos Pistolas
11-18-2009, 11:25 PM
They are the same.

+1

I have both in the RH versions: 10FP and 12FV. More specifically, the differences are:

10FP: 24" barrel, matte black finish (looks like parkerizing), extra sling swivel (for bipod)
12FV: 26" barrel, polished blued finished

Thank you for the information. My searching on the Savage website raised another question. I am also looking to buy rifle for whitetail as well, most likely 270 or 30-06. Anyway, my question is this-are the actions the same on the Hunter and Weather Warrior series as the Models 10 and 12? I guess another way to state this-are all Savage actions the same except for the finish (other than the difference between short action and long action). My reason for asking is that if I choose upgrade stock, trigger, etc, I want to make sure I have an action that is compatible with the aftermarket parts available.
Thanks again.

fatdaddy
11-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Savage actions are the same 10,11,12,16.... the only difference is with the older styles staggered feed and the newer center feed action screw spacing. Staggered is 4.25" and center feed is 4.40". The center feed models mag will stay in the stock when action is removed as well. It does come out, just not part of the action as the staggered feed is.

The target models and lrpv's are large shank as well as the magnums I believe.

Stevens actions are the same as the small shank actions but dont have the accu trigger are'nt available in stainless. Welcome to the forum, Bill

firemachine69
11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Unless things have changed, the 10FLP/FLCP/FLCP-K is only available in .308, unless you go through Savage's "custom shop". You're also definitely not going to find a staggered-feed 10 series, unless some small-time shop has one stashed from ages ago.

Muchos Pistolas
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Savage actions are the same 10,11,12,16.... the only difference is with the older styles staggered feed and the newer center feed action screw spacing. Staggered is 4.25" and center feed is 4.40". The center feed models mag will stay in the stock when action is removed as well. It does come out, just not part of the action as the staggered feed is.

The target models and lrpv's are large shank as well as the magnums I believe.

Stevens actions are the same as the small shank actions but dont have the accu trigger are'nt available in stainless. Welcome to the forum, Bill

Much appreciated and thanks for the welcome.

Muchos Pistolas
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Unless things have changed, the 10FLP/FLCP/FLCP-K is only available in .308, unless you go through Savage's "custom shop". You're also definitely not going to find a staggered-feed 10 series, unless some small-time shop has one stashed from ages ago.

firemachine69,

I noticed the 10FLP is not even listed anymore on the Savage website (non-accustock version). I did, however, find a local shop that has a used 10FLP in .223. The 12FLV is looking a bit more appealing to me anyway so it is a non-issue.

Thanks again for the info.

firemachine69
11-21-2009, 03:48 AM
I'd snatch it up. it'd make a fantastic varmint rifle.

The Savage 10FLCP-K (in .308) is the only remaining lefty rifle in the "Law Enforcement" line-up. They figure if a lefty is gonna buy a tacticool rifle, they'll go all-out. Besides, I can't think of many L.E. agencies using a .223 bolt action as a long-distance boomstick. May as well just get an accurized AR-15.

Sales were absurdly low, I presume, or varminters preferred another style in the Savage line-up. I'll assume you live in the good ol' US of A, so the Savage Custom Shop (with an accompanying FFL dealer) is only a phone call away. Given our political climate here in Canada, we aren't as lucky. We get them as they come, or we spend some serious coin to get make them into what we want.

Hammer
11-21-2009, 03:52 AM

Don't know how rare staggered-feed magazines are on the store shelves.

A local retailer ordered a generic Savage from a distributor recently and got a staggered-feed delivered.