PDA

View Full Version : Paper or brown sugar in barrel clamp

carpet1
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
I have read using paper or brown suger in a barrel clamp-vise to keep the barrel from slipping. What kind of paper and how is it used? The brown sugar way has me completely baffeled. Maybe just crumble up some cookies, I guess lol

placek59
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I use the drywall tape/paper and it works good. If the barrel is stubborn try giving it a little shot of lube/oil under the little gap towards the muzzle end of the nut and let it sit overnight.

efm77
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
The grittiness of the sugar would give it more grip to keep the barrel from slipping. I use powdered rosin on my blocks and it grips the barrel very well. You can get a large bag of it from Midway for pretty cheap. I think it's 1lb but it's enough to last for a very long time. I put a light coating of it inside my scope rings too to keep the scope from slipping.

txbdyguard
12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
I used the rubber cap that came on my new barrel. Cut the end out of it and slit it on one side and it worked like a charm. Wide electrical tape would probably do the same thing.

carpet1
12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I have decided my nut is welded on, and will require purchase of a new rifle. NOTHING works, yet.

Eric in NC
12-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Tried a 3 pound dead blow hammer?

noelfr
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Pine tar that is available in most baseball sections in sporting goods stores. That coupled w/ dead blow hammer taps did the job for me.

BoilerUP
12-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I have decided my nut is welded on, and will require purchase of a new rifle. NOTHING works, yet.

I thought the same thing once before...http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=37787

Brown sugar between the barrel blocks, VERY tight in a bench vise, and a dead blow hammer on the wrench should do the trick.

If the dead blow doesn't work, try a 1-3 pound hand sledge.

Couple real stout whacks will break it loose...

CAPTBEACH
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Lock it up good and tight in the barrel blocks, apply a good penetrating oil after a good heating of the barrel nut, allow to sit ovenight, apply some more heat, a heat gun works well for this...dont burn yourself in the process, apply wrench and several blows from a dead blow hammer...

ellobo
12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
I had the same problem, nothing worked. I finaly put one of those small cutting abrasive discs on a dremel and cut the nut off. Be careful how deep you cut. I made a diagonal cut to just short of breaking through the threads without touching the reciever. That worked. Like the little Scottish short dirk, it was the weapon of last resort.

El Lobo

carpet1
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
WOW, brown sugar it is. I tried for 2 days, using everything I could think of. Best vise, rosin, lead shims, you name it. The barrel turned. Spooned some brown sugar on the lead strips, one knock with a hammer, and the stupid nut came loose.

FW Conch
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
I got this idea from someone else, but it is the "ticket". Drill a hole in your wood block beside the recoil lug on the side it will torque to,
tap it for a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw & install it against the lug. This prevents anything from turning..works great..Jim

dwm
12-17-2011, 08:58 PM
How about an action wrench? Doesn't matter if barrel slips in vise with an action wrench ...

Txhillbilly
12-17-2011, 10:28 PM
An Action wrench is all I use also.Works everytime,with just a couple swings of a 3lb dead blow hammer.Then I just loosen the Action wrench bolts a little and unscrew the barrel.

carpet1
12-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Action wrench is next purchase, for sure. ;D

efm77
12-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Action wrench does help. I like mine but still use the barrel vise as well.

txbdyguard
12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Action wrench is all i use.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
The "dead blow" hammer is a waste of time. It's the "shock" of steel on steel that brakes the nut loose. Any good "steel" hammer on the barrel nut wrench will do the trick.
And the nut doesn't have to be that tight when it goes back on. A smack on the nut wrench with the "steel hammer" is all that's needed. Never had one come loose on the 6+ barrels I've replaced. Mark the barrel and action so you'll know for sure. A piece of tape on the barrel (just ahead of the nut) and action with a mark is all you need to tell if it ever moves.