PDA

View Full Version : 12FV front action bolt

tucansam
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi gang,

I bought a 12FV about ten years ago and later picked up a used wooden laminate stock for it. The stock was already inletted for the Savage and looked exactly like the BV series stock on Savage's website at the time.

Only problem is, the factory FV front action bolt won't fit (too short), and the "Savage Model 12 Laminate Stock Front Action Bolt" that I just got from Midway is the same -- too short.

Can anyone advise on a Savage part number, place from which it cane be aquired, etc for the correct bolt? The former owner of the stock sent a long his "front action bolt" which turned out to be a long flat-bladed bolt with a couple washers on it....

Final question... What's the recommended to torque for the front and back action bolts?

Thanks!!!

GaCop
12-15-2011, 06:03 AM
You can get a 1/4X28 bolt at ACE or True Value hardware. Pick up one each 1 inch and 1.5 inches. Try the one inch in the front receiver hole. It may have to be ground down a bit so it doesn't jam the bolt. They're far stronger than the factory bolts and cost less than a buck each.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
1/4" x 28 allen head socket screw longer than needed. Run a nut on it, cut to the length needed and as you run the nut off, it straightens the threads. Get a selection so you have spares.

GaCop
12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
1/4" x 28 allen head socket screw longer than needed. Run a nut on it, cut to the length need and as you run the nut off, it straightens the threads. Get a selection so you have spares.

Good advice, I forgot about using the nut.

tucansam
12-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I looked at the 1/4" nuts when I was down there, and took the #7 factory bolt with me. They have a little display down at the hardware store comprised of a bunch of nuts, and you screw your bolt into each nut to determine size and thread pitch. Well, the #7 factory bolt screwed into the #7 hole, but not the 1/4x28 hole. A 1/4" bolt from the store screwed into the 1/4x28 hole, and the #7 hole, but there was a lot of play. So, essentially, while I can get 1/4x28 bolts to fit in the action, I'm worried there will be play, and I won't get a complete fit. The thread pitch or size is different and, while it fits, its not exact. Am I overthinking this?

Nor Cal Mikie
12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Well lets put it this way. All 5 of my Savage rifles take a 1/4" X 28 bolt. One going back to the mid 80s and a couple of single shot actions that I got last year or so. 1/4" X 28 is what fits all of mine so thats what I keep in my stash. ;)
Not thinking you're going to have any problems. Cut to length just above flush with the inside of the action and smooth it flush. That way you'll end up with full thread contact. Will the 1/4" nut screw onto your OEM bolt?

tucansam
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Haven't tried a 1/4" nut on my factory bolt yet. But I have been to no less than seven hardware stores in the last 48 hours... Two Lowe's, two Home Depots, two Ace's, and one mom-and-pop shop. Two different cities.

Out of seven stores, I've seen ONE 1/4x28 bolt, and it was a 3" long hex head. No one had 1/4x28 in anything else.

Also, no one has M7 metric bolts. M6 and M8 in every flavor a guy could want, but no M7.

Thinking I may just order the longer rear-action bolt from Midway and trim it to fit.