PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying Magazines for my Savage 16

rusty815
12-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone, my Stockade rollover thumbhole stock is due to be delivered to me next month, and with it Kevin Rayhill's custom bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines. Now I'm not usually this indecisive, but i need help deciding what magazines I'm going to buy to compliment my new stock and bottom metal. I'm basically open to any suggestions, I've looked at many of my options, Alpha magazines, Accuracy International, AccurateMag, and C-Products. I've also looked at the Ruger polymer magazines, even though they say it's not recommended for other AICS systems, the Ruger GSR uses AICS magazines, which leads me to believe that they should work in other rifles that accept AICS magazines, the only reason I've eliminated these is that my rifle uses 300 WSM rounds, and the Ruger magazines are polymer, so opening the lips is a no-go, I dont want to risk breaking the magazines. If anyone can offer me guidance as to which magazines i should go with, it would be greatly appreciated.

stangfish
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM
If you don't get the answer your looking for try the Hide.

rusty815
12-14-2011, 06:29 PM
The hide? can I ask what's that?

rusty815
12-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Come on, now i know there are many people on this forum that use AICS style magazines. I just want to know what manufacturer you use and how durable it is, price, does it rattle, etc. Anyone?

keeki
12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Think hes talking about the snipers hide
www.snipershide.com/

janizary
12-15-2011, 12:28 PM
If you try to the Ruger Mags, please let us know. I've been curious as to their function in a non-GSR platform.

rusty815
12-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Oooooh, snipershide, I visit that website a lot but don't have an account there, I might post there if I can't decide.

I might pick up a ruger magazine just to see if it fits and works, I was thinking that maybe if I file down the lips instead of opening them I might get them to work with my 300 WSM, it's worth a shot, they only cost about $30

sha-ul
01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/smilies/icon_bump.gif
so, has anyone tried the Ruger mags yet?

dksac2
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
You guys hang tight, There just might be magazines coming out that fit the stock bottom metal of the Savage, 4 Rnd WSM and some 10 Rnd for a couple of others.
Can't say much more now, the deal is coming togather, but I want to make sure all is good before saying anything. Once done, then you can decide what system is going to be the best for you. It's good to have choices and with several, there should be something to please eveyone.
Some of you may remember me, I was the Gunsmithing Moderator on this site about 7 years ago before the format of the site was changed.

John K

rusty815
01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/smilies/icon_bump.gif
so, has anyone tried the Ruger mags yet?

I was going to, until I read a write up, I think it was sniper's hide, where someone actually tried it out. In short, the bottom metal has to be inletted 1/8 of an inch deeper than normal, the feed lips have to be shortened, and plastic has to be inserted to the bottom of the magazine so the spring sits higher, I also read that this sort of modification may make the use of other steel magazines impossible, so I decided not to try it.