PDA

View Full Version : tricking out an older 110

mtnsmith
11-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Hi I am new to this forum.. I would like to start out by asking a question..I have an older model 110 that I would like to change out the barrel to a heavier profile, as well as changing out the stock and trigger... My question is since I have never worked on a savage rifle before what do I need to do to pop off the barrel and install a new one? I am probably going to go with a short chambered Shilen.. Do I need any special barrel vises, wrenches, ect? Thanks ya'll for any help..

mtnsmith....................

cowboyarcher
11-18-2009, 01:57 AM
I use an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench, but many get by using barrel block in place of the action wrench. You'll also need correct headspace gauges.

I got my tools from Midway, but others have them as well.

Adam

GaCop
11-18-2009, 05:19 AM
With so many choices for prefit barrels, why go with short chambered?

BrentWin
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Mtnsmith,

Welcome to the sight

You don't need to go short chambered like a Remchester. The Savage platform allows the barrel to be screwed in until the chamber hits the go gauge and then the barrel nut is tightened against the face of the receiver. I effect the nut is an adjustable barrel shoulder.

mtnsmith
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
WOW!!!! Thanks guys I didn't know that about a Savage.. So I can go with a fully pre-chambered barrel and get my head space by just screwing it on against a go guage and tightening the nut. I am assuming that the bolt should be in the gun and stripped down, right? man that is cool.. Do I need to get a new nut for this project or can I use the existing nut.. Thanks Ya'll

mtnsmith

cowboyarcher
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
No need to strip the bolt head or a new nut. Just do as you described!

Adam

nhm16
11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Manson headspace gauges (available at Brownells) have a little cutout for the ejector and a little hole for the firing pin, so there's no chance those two will mess up your headspacing should you decide not to take apart the bolt when switching barrels. While you're at it replace with recoil lug with one from Sharpshooter Supply or Northland.

ellobo
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry to tell you this, but with an "older 110" there are some things you have to be aware of. First, what caliber is the old 110? Some older 110's were chambered in short action cartridges like .308,.243 etc. If yours is one of those then you are restricted to short action cartridges. You may have to change bolt heads if you go to a smaller or larger cartridge like a .223swap from a .308. Enlarging the barrel channel is a must if you go with a heavier profile barrel to ensure the barrel is free floated. Free float the tang as well, this aint no Remchester. Adding a better recoil lug should be done as was said already. New bolt heads may have a difference in them from old ones requiring some metal removal with a dremel tool. Newer firng pins are smaller so your bolt head (new) may need to have the hole enlarged to fit an old firing pin. The best aftermarket trigger is made by SharpShooterSupply who advertises here. Now that I have scared the hell out of you, have at if brother.

El Lobo

Galveston22
11-18-2009, 10:57 PM
WOW!!!! Thanks guys I didn't know that about a Savage.. So I can go with a fully pre-chambered barrel and get my head space by just screwing it on against a go guage and tightening the nut. I am assuming that the bolt should be in the gun and stripped down, right? man that is cool.. Do I need to get a new nut for this project or can I use the existing nut.. Thanks Ya'll

mtnsmith

You got it!

mtnsmith
11-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Sorry to tell you this, but with an "older 110" there are some things you have to be aware of. First, what caliber is the old 110? Some older 110's were chambered in short action cartridges like .308,.243 etc. If yours is one of those then you are restricted to short action cartridges. You may have to change bolt heads if you go to a smaller or larger cartridge like a .223swap from a .308. Enlarging the barrel channel is a must if you go with a heavier profile barrel to ensure the barrel is free floated. Free float the tang as well, this aint no Remchester. Adding a better recoil lug should be done as was said already. New bolt heads may have a difference in them from old ones requiring some metal removal with a dremel tool. Newer firng pins are smaller so your bolt head (new) may need to have the hole enlarged to fit an old firing pin. The best aftermarket trigger is made by SharpShooterSupply who advertises here. Now that I have scared the **** out of you, have at if brother.

El Lobo

Thanks el lobo.. It is a 30-06 long action and I was thinking of doing a .260.. Do you see any probs with that??? I will be getting a new synthetic stock for it, and I am not sure yet which profile barrel I am getting.. I am going to call shilen and get their opinion according to what I want to do..

Thanks again everyone for your honest input..

mtnsmith

cowboyarcher
11-19-2009, 12:17 AM
260 and 30-06 will have the same bolt face and should feed fine as well. Shouldn't be a problem!

MissedAgain
11-29-2009, 10:17 AM
He doesn't say how much older his 110 action is; what if he's got the old style bolt face and stuff? He should post some pics or send some pics to those that are kindly helping him at this stage of his build.

geargrinder
11-29-2009, 11:47 AM
He doesn't say how much older his 110 action is; what if he's got the old style bolt face and stuff? He should post some pics or send some pics to those that are kindly helping him at this stage of his build.

Good point. Does it have a bulge in the barrel for the rear sight?