PDA

View Full Version : New model 12 fv problems!

countryboy1332
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I recently purchased a Savage model 12fv and after I mounted the scope I went to sight it in. I did 5 shots at 100 yards and to my surprise they were all over the paper! They were at about 8 inch spread on average between each other with no obvious pattern forming. I tried several different ammo types and even mounted a friends scope on it with the same results! I'm not extremely knowledgeable about all of this so I just decided it was best to send it in to savage and have them take a look at it. Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong or what I possibly did wrong? Also does anybody know how long it takes savage to do warranty work?
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Tarleton_Texan
12-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I like to start with the simplest fix first and check to make sure the screws are all tight on the rings and bases then on the stock. If that doesn't fix it then I will pull a scope off another rifle and mount it to see if I have a bad scope.

Colon Terminus
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I agree with the Texan ... check the action screws.

lonestardiver
12-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Also check to make sure the barrel is free floated and not touching the stock.

Plus check the scope mounts....

GaCop
12-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Also check to make sure the barrel is free floated and not touching the stock.

Plus check the scope mounts....

Be sure the tang is floated too. Double check all your mount screws to be sure some aren't too long and bottoming out on the barrel threads before tightening the base.

countryboy1332
01-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks everybody! I ended up getting it back and they put a new barrel on it and sent a shooting report along with it. I put it in my B&C tactical stock and it didn't float like it did before I sent it. It was cocked to one side of the stock! I put the scope back on it and I could visually tell that that the scope and barrel weren't in line! I pulled it out of the stock and could tell that even the receiver and barrel weren't lined up! I think the reiever wasn't properly made or something! I'm beyond frustrated with savage and I called them and they basically called me crazy! They took it back a month ago and I haven't heard a word from them yet! Its been months since I first purchased it and I have yet to fire a single accurate shot from the rifle and I have only spent money on this rifle and have seen no results! Does anybody know if I can get a refund from savage on my rifle?

halfmile
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Get that thing in a lathe or between centers and check for runout.

Any gunsmith should be able to tell you what the problem is.

BTW, did yuou shoot it in the factory stock?

HM