PDA

View Full Version : dogtracker and torque to right

ttfreestyle
12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I shot my dogtracker today off a edgewood 3 inch front bag and minigator rear bag and it torqued to the right when shot. It is a 6br 8 twist 14 pound gun. Am i missing something about the dogtracker but i thought it was designed to stop torque. thanks

helotaxi
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
It can't stop it, merely minimize its effects. Your 1:8 twist barrel isn't helping you in that regard.

Terry Balding
12-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Tell us more about your benchrest set up. What front rest are you using? How did you adjust the ears on the rest?
Do you shoot free recoil?

Terry

helotaxi
12-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Or, he's witnessing the rifle "bounce" back once the torquing force is removed.

fullersson
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
You could possibly be having some issues with your barrel and it being indexed wrong. Did it take a lot of windage to get your zero? Brian Brown.

ttfreestyle
12-12-2011, 11:13 PM
The front rest is a sinclair with edgewood 3 inch front bag, i am snugging the ears on the sides. Rear bag is minigator. The barreled action has been shot last year in f class with a hs precision stock and sinclair bipod and will hold half moa out to 600 so i feel no rifle problem. I got the dogtracker in hopes it will track well in the adjustable rest setup. I was also confused on the rifle "jumping" or bouncing to the right as it is a criterion bbl right twist. I have two sharp shooters long range benchrest stocks that do not do this with the same calibers and loads/barrel twists off the same rest setup. o and i do shoot pretty free recoil with the 6brs.

fullersson
12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi-Teck,
All bores are warped (bananna shaped) to some degree. Some worse than others. Some gunsmiths will figure out which way the bore is curved and mark the barrel so they can install the barrel with that curve facing a certain direction. The gunsmiths I trained under that do this, install the barrel with the curve facing up. Facing that direction is supposed to be correct for a number of different reasons. I've got to go to work right now but if you would care to know more let me know and I'll research my notes so I can explain it the way it was explained to me. Check out my website by clicking the link under my username. You'll also find my telephone number there give me a call if you would like. Brian Brown.

Terry Balding
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
The front rest is a sinclair with edgewood 3 inch front bag, i am snugging the ears on the sides. Rear bag is minigator. The barreled action has been shot last year in f class with a hs precision stock and sinclair bipod and will hold half moa out to 600 so i feel no rifle problem. I got the dogtracker in hopes it will track well in the adjustable rest setup. I was also confused on the rifle "jumping" or bouncing to the right as it is a criterion bbl right twist. I have two sharp shooters long range benchrest stocks that do not do this with the same calibers and loads/barrel twists off the same rest setup. o and i do shoot pretty free recoil with the 6brs.

Wow! I don't know how you do this better.

What happens if you swap stocks? Does the problem persist?

Terry

r29l20
12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I never understood how the gun would torque to the left with a right hand twist. Please explain it to me.

Russ
12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
A helicopter with skids sitting on glare ice, will on start up, spin in the opposite direction to the rotation of the blades until the antitorque rear blades develope enough speed to stop the fuselage from spinning. Take a 8 or 10 foot 2x4 and sit on a revolving stool, lift your feet and holding the 2x4 over your head turn it horizontally in one direction and see which way your body turns.

sharpshooter
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
It's called action/reaction. If the bullet is spinning in clockwise motion, the barrel is reacting in the opposite direction,counterclockwise. The faster the twist, the heavier the bullet, the more torque it produces.
Despite what Fullersson says, a slightly curved barrel has no affect on torque, and certainly cannot make it change direction.

r29l20
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks guy's. :)

ttfreestyle
12-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Terry, i was using a sinclair bipod with the hs precision stock so its really not a fair comparison but the two sss long range benchrest stocks i have do not do this(they are awesome stocks). I am wondering about the rails of the dogtracker and maybe to much sand in the front bag?? I wont get to shoot again til next week so maybe ill take some sand out and try that. Any other ideas?

fullersson
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Sharpshooter may be correct I've never personally seen this happen. Like I said "possibly". If you asked 10 different rifle builders about anything you will get 10 different opinions. I know what I posted originally was taught to me by some very good smiths. Brian Brown.