PDA

View Full Version : .270 STW

Blue Avenger
12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
looks like this is going to be an easy one. run the brass in a 7mag die with a .270 expander in it!
nothing much for reloading data. Weatherby ought to be in the ball park.

1Shot
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
..A guy at work is supposed to have done 1 in .257..Calls it the hot tamaley..Claims it to be a flat shooter...Never really asked him the details about it...He kinda gets under my skin once in awhile...

cfvickers
12-17-2011, 03:03 PM
An STW is based on an 8mm Remington Magnum. A 7 mag is short about 25-30 grains on capacity. the expander button will not do you any good because even if you used 7mm STW dies a 7mm is .284 a 270 is .277, the expander just expands, you need to size the neck down. You would have to get custom dies made for a .270 STW. I have a friend wanting one and I have not been able to find dies anywhere. But a .270 expander button will not get you anywhere. There is no cheap way to do this cartridge, I have been trying to find a way, it doesn't exist.

placek59
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
bushing dies should do the trick!

Blue Avenger
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
I am well versed in the 7stw. Got my first the same month the shooting time article announced them.

it you have the material available, try it like I did. you might be surprised at what might work, and how much the neck is sized in before the expander moves it back out. I currently have enough tension to hold a .277 bullet. they will not press in with just fingers. I have yet to check how uniform the tension / contact is through the entire internal length of the neck. I am also keeping in mind if that part is good I may have to crimp for a little more hold.

it is possible my die sizes smaller then others. I have that problem with my 6 & 7 br dies. My 6 leaves the shoulders to fat, so I have to hit them with the 7 die with the expander out then partial size them with the 6 to size the neck. I should just buy a new die, but shoot the 6br seldom.

Fat Albert
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
"Burned out throat" Gods way of saying you are putting too much powder down a barrel to small. Rebarrelers love all of the STW configurations. Here today- gone tomarrow. The guy that runs AccurateReloading forum was getting notiable throat burn after only 100rds in a 7STW. I'm sure it was the best barrel that money can buy as he is "richer than Davy Crockett).

Eric in NC
12-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Barrels are just temporary things that are made to be enjoyed and consumed. Just like fine bourbon and nice cigars. If you worry too much about using them up, you never have any fun.

Blue Avenger
12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
so I better get it zeroed in fast? LOL

Cover Dog
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
An STW is based on an 8mm Remington Magnum. A 7 mag is short about 25-30 grains on capacity. the expander button will not do you any good because even if you used 7mm STW dies a 7mm is .284 a 270 is .277, the expander just expands, you need to size the neck down. You would have to get custom dies made for a .270 STW. I have a friend wanting one and I have not been able to find dies anywhere. But a .270 expander button will not get you anywhere. There is no cheap way to do this cartridge, I have been trying to find a way, it doesn't exist.

I got a 358STA from Winchester's Custom Shop back in 2000 and at that time the only company that had dies was Redding. If I remember correctly they were about $125-$135 for the 2 die set. Times change and I have gone more into LR target shooting. Every time I go into the safe I move that gun closer to the "for sale" rack, but as of late I just can't let go.