PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to bedd my Savage Action

MWalker
12-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I have a Weather Warrior that I bought brand new and just put on my first barrel. Replaced .243 with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Adjusting the headspace was a breeze after reading this forum on how to do it. I used just the go-gauge and some scotch tape. Way too easy. I am keeping the factory tupperware stock for the time being as I want to learn how to bed the action on something cheap and I don't mind the factory one. Mine is a blind mag style and after researching I was able to remove that from the stock.
On to removing the trigger. That wasn't too bad either but did read somewhere it would be easier with a third hand and some extra shear springs. My shear spring shot off and I never heard or seen it. Anybody know of a good place to get a new one?
My last and biggest problem so far is it looks like the safety is removed on all the actions that I have seen getting bedding. How do I go about removing the safety form the tang area?

MWalker
12-11-2011, 04:53 PM
OK, after messing with it some more I figured out how to remove the safety. I figured it had to be something easy.

DannoBoone
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
" My shear spring shot off and I never heard or seen it. Anybody know of a good place to get a new one?"

You might try Customer Service. A few years ago, I did the same thing and was able to beg them out of
one. The lady on the phone balked on the idea for awhile, but then asked someone else there, and he
said to go ahead and send it. That might be one of the items they feel should be sent only to competent
gunsmiths, and not fools like us! ;D

MWalker
12-12-2011, 12:57 PM
You might try Customer Service. A few years ago, I did the same thing and was able to beg them out of
one. The lady on the phone balked on the idea for awhile, but then asked someone else there, and he
said to go ahead and send it. That might be one of the items they feel should be sent only to competent
gunsmiths, and not fools like us! ;D

I called customer service this morning. They needed my serial# off the rifle but it is covered in tape at the moment cause I bedded it last night. They also said I need to send in a release of liability because I am not a dealer nor do I have an FFL license. The part is $2.

jumpalot
12-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Will this one work?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13059/Product/SEAR-SPRING

MWalker
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Will this one work?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13059/Product/SEAR-SPRING

That looks like it would work but a picture would help. No big deal though. I called Sharp Shooter Supply and they are going to send one out for me.

csam
12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
"My shear spring shot off and I never heard or seen it. Anybody know of a good place to get a new one?"

I would second customer service, about ten years ago before I read everything on the interweb and became a genius, I was taking apart the bolt and at least one or two parts shot across the room and were never heard from again. I sent a bag of parts back to savage and they returned the bolt to me reassembled with all the proper parts, at no charge.