PDA

View Full Version : Savage new bolt release?

GA-SURVEYOR
12-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Are all of the Savage Models going to the new trigger guard bolt release? Looked the new style at Cabelas yesterday and I must say that the gun looks much better with the trigger guard style release. I am wanting to build another .223 and the new style looked like a prime candidate. What are you guys thoughts/ experience with the new design?

82boy
12-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Are all of the Savage Models going to the new trigger guard bolt release? Looked the new style at Cabelas yesterday and I must say that the gun looks much better with the trigger guard style release. I am wanting to build another .223 and the new style looked like a prime candidate. What are you guys thoughts/ experience with the new design?

As far as I know that is only on the accustock guns, and a few others special models. (14, 114 American Classic.) It would not suprise me for them all to go that way.

The new trigger release does have its glitches, installing an aftermarket trigger like a SSS is one. (You better off not trying.) Its is a bit more of a pain in the butt to push it in and the trigger just to release the bolt. It also complicates things in the aftermerket world with stocks. The trigger guard is a bit harder to install as it has to line up with the release finger to the sear.

The back of the bolt now holds the cocking indicator, and it also complicates a few things such as you can no longer use the 38 brass gunk button to help bolt lift, SSS has developed a neddel berring set up to work with it. I still dont like the idea of a hole in the back of the bolt pointed right at my eye, incase a case head ruptured, or something else.

All in all it is something you ca esily get use to, but my thought is if it aint broke dont fix it, what Savage had worked since 1958, why change it.

Cycler
12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
...but my thought is if it aint broke dont fix it, what Savage had worked since 1958, why change it.
Probably because of all the whining about how "ugly" the old style bolt release was. The same type of complaint that had Savage change to old style grooved barrel nut for the new (but far less useful) smooth barrel nut.

My problem with the new bolt release location is that it makes getting to the action bolts more difficult.

txbdyguard
12-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Any Savage rifle with a blind magazine will have the old style bolt release. I just bought two brand new 16's and they both have the old style release. If there is no floor plate where will the release go? My experience its allot easier to get stocks for the old style then the new. I bought a B&C with the aluminum bedding block for mine and fit like a glove and I only paid $473 bare rifle.