PDA

View Full Version : Field dressing/skinning knife

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nandy
12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
For many years I have had the luck to have a butcher just minutes away from the lease that I have been hunting so I never had the need to actually field dress and skin my deer. This year I have decided to do the field dressing (should it be field undressing??? lol) and gutting myself. This will save me $15 from the butcher processing fee. The club I belong to have wonderful facilities for this and we even have a walk in freezer to age the meat. I stood and watch the president of the club doing his magic on the first 2 deer I shot and I cleaned the last one I shot and skinned just yesterday to drop it at the butcher. I am using a Gerber hunting knife I was given as a gift a few years ago. I wonder if I should be using a different knife like a filet knife.
What knife style/material do you guys use? What knife style/material should I stay away from? What is the easiest way to sharpen them in a pinch to keep that edge good while skinning it?

Thanks!

davemuzz
12-09-2011, 07:31 PM
For sharpening during the process of butchering, there is nothing better than a "Sharpening Steel" http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-9-Inch-Poly-Sharpening-Steel/dp/B00004RFMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323473042&sr=8-1 These will keep a nice sharp edge with just running the knife (properly) across it in 4 to 6 swipes. To learn how to use it, go to You Tube.

For field dressing and skinning, I have found this Case knife to be unbeatable. Besides, it's made right here in the USA. http://casexx.com/DisplayDetailPage.asp?ProductCode=2031

And for cutting meat from bone, any good quality deboning knife will do it.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Nandy
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks!

thomae
12-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I use a Buck Crosslock that has 2 folding blades: a skinning blade and a gut hook. Looks a lot like this one, but has a belt sheath: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BUCK-CROSSLOCK-CROSS-LOCK-180-DEPUTY-/320812755620?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item4ab1ee2aa4
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BUCK-CROSSLOCK-CROSS-LOCK-180-DEPUTY-/320812755620?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item4ab1ee2aa4)
The newer ones have a saw blade on the back of the gut hook, but I carry a separate Gerber t-handle small saw that works for me. (http://www.cabelas.com/field-care-gerber-e-z-3.shtml)

(I also have a really nice hand made skinning knife my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago. It's so nice, though, I don't like to get it bloody. )

If you skin the deer when warm, you hardly need a knife. Skin pulls right off. I've never had to sharpen a knife while skinning. I would think that cutting the subcutaneous membrane should not dull your knife very much. I carry a separate knife as a general purpose utility knife an donly use the skinning knives for skinning and gutting.

I use a regular kitchen boning knife when butchering the deer. In fact, that's what I was doing today in the back yard.

bill2260
12-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Look on ebay for herters improved bowie knife. I purchased one of these when I was around 11 or 12 years old and it is still my main use hunting knife. I own others and this is the best knife you can buy. I think I paid $1.25 for mine 40 years ago. I have gutted, skinned, butcherd hundreds of deer, fish, squirrls and others. Great knife and stilll available used. Bill

fyimo
12-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I hace a BUCK 0692BKS-B VANGUARD CLASSIC FIELD KNIFE and it's worked great and holds an edge really well. I can shapen it with my Lanksy sharping kit and get it razpr sharp. They are availbale on Ebay from several sellers.

sha-ul
01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Am I the only one to use a Kabar for this? I sharpen up the back edge on the tip& it does a nice job when skinning as you have almost scalpel like control, plus it is heavy enough to get through the bones& joints when needed.

5spd
02-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Buck 102 is all I have used for field skinnging/gutting/caping for the last 30 years. For heavy bone the Buck 119 & for packaging the meats at home I use a german Wusthof kitchen knife.

jgerrington
02-17-2012, 06:30 AM
I also use case knives. the trapper and trapper lock are my favorites for skinning. I only use the cv metal. The edge will last about 2 deer before needing sharpened. it only takes seconds to sharpen as well. I grew up using buck knives but switched to case knives after using them. After I debone, I like to use a fillet knife to butcher with.
I even named my boy Case..ha ha

DarnYankee
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Gerber Gator with or with out the serated edge. Nice shaped rubber handle, folds and locks great, holds an edge great.

Jackpine
02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
It may seem like an unlikely choice but my Mora 2000 has become my go to field and skinning knife. Holds a good edge, stainless, and easy to clean. (cheap too)

geargrinder
02-22-2012, 12:32 AM
My absolute favorite is a Browning FDT(Field Dressing Tool)

It's a locking folder with:
Drop point blade
Gut hook and hide cutter
Saw

http://www.youtube.com/v/gFFXdaK_yKE?version=3&hl=en_GB"

I don't skin with a knife. I make some prep cuts with the FDT then pull the skin off with the truck. Much cleaner and faster.

I've used it for years on muleys, antelope, and elk. Works great and holds an edge.

kschilling
07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Used several over the years. Was using a RAT 5 the Army gave me when I retired (screw the **** gold watch... what good is that!). I then purchased a Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze from Cabelas.... Buy one.... they are FREAKIN awesome!!!!! Check out the website and you'll see why.....

big honkin jeep
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119. I like it so much that I have given several dozen as gifts for my family and friends. I can pick up the ones with the phenolic handle and nylon sheath at Wally World for about $40. I have tried a lot of pricy knives but I'm not sure there is anything better at any price.

BobT
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119.

Me too! It seems to be "just right" for field dressing and skinning. I have used mine on game ranging in size from squirrels to elk and it handled them all nicely.

Bob

lucky_13
07-27-2012, 02:34 AM
I used to be a butcher so I just stick with what I know. I use three cheap dexter knives. A 6" boning knife, a 8" butcher knife and a second butcher knife that I modified. I took a 8" butcher knife that was pretty well worn and cut it down to about 3.5". I ground the rough edges round and sharpened the she-ot out of it. It is by far, the best thing I have ever used for tearing through pelvic bone and especially ribs.

Big Old Boy
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Benchmade 201, DMT to keep it sharp.

Big Old Boy
08-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Benchmade 201 DMT to keep it sharp.

cgeorgemo
08-11-2012, 01:22 AM
For gutting and skinning one of my hunting buddies uses a razor knife with a replaceable blade....

Luckus
10-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Marbles Bison series fixed blade, and LL Bean copy of the original Remington Bullet knife, mfg'd by the Bowen Knife Co. I have been packing the Bullet knife since 1978.