PDA

View Full Version : Field dressing/skinning knife

Pages : 1 [2] 3

kevin_stevens
10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Well since this thread has been resurrected, I swear by the Buck 119. I like it so much that I have given several dozen as gifts for my family and friends. I can pick up the ones with the phenolic handle and nylon sheath at Wally World for about $40. I have tried a lot of pricy knives but I'm not sure there is anything better at any price.

LOL - it's just funny how different tastes are. I looked up the 119, and it epitomizes almost every design feature I hate in a fixed-blade knife. Which in no way makes it a poor knife. Just funny.

To the OP - there are actually several tasks involved, and where you stop in field dressing will help you decide what to use.

For gutting to reduce weight and cool the carcass, almost anything will work as all you have to do is get under the skin and cut upward.

For skinning, you need something with a bit of curve to the blade, and probably at least 3". I have a Spyderco Sage as my general-purpose carry folder, and it will skin anything up to a zebra/elk just fine.

If you're quartering the critter, you need something that will get through bone. This is usually the decision point - you can skin with a folding knife and carry a bone saw, or you can force your way through with a heavier fixed-blade knife that can also skin - like that Buck 119. The bone saw will work better, but it's an extra thing to carry around and lose.

If you're going to bone out, it helps to have a plain thin kitchen boning knife. Either the folder or the fixed blade will bone, but you're going to get awfully bloody. If its the folder, it's likely to be animal blood - if the fixed blade, it's likely to be yours. :)

Hope this helps.

KeS

kkeene
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I use a medium sized drop point blade that's in my three blade Old Timer folder to gut, skin, and quarter deer. Holds a good edge and can typically get thru two deer before I need to re-sharpen. And still I have two spare sharp blades for other tasks. Never saw any need for a bone saw or real heavy knife to quarter a deer as we use tree loppers to cut the legs off and to sever the spine. Only draw back to this knife is that I like to clean it right away due to the carbon steel blades.

Pigs are a lot tougher (because of the thick skin, hair, and fat) to process. Typically have to switch blades half way thru a pig due to the fat that sticks to the blade.

Basically any good drop point knife will get the job done. Pick one that is comfortable to hold when your hand is wet and is easy to clean afterward and you are good to go!

rattfink
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I have used a Spyderco Endura, and a Kabar. One of the two does all of my cutting jobs.

M.O.A.
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Gerber Gator with or with out the serated edge. Nice shaped rubber handle, folds and locks great, holds an edge great.

Plus one here very nice knife I had the set the one with the gut hook and the one with the aerated edge. But let a buddy use the gut hook one and its gone now ;-( .

358Hammer
10-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Gerber drop point 3" folding stainless pocket knife given to me by my daughter has been on every hunt since 1986. Have carried a Gerber Gator and a pixy edged gerber for fine caping work since I can't remember. Knap saw and a super sharp ULU (native work knife) all on every hunt along with that mentioned above. ULU is fantastic for skinning, fleshing or cutting vegatables for supper.

Neal

kevin_stevens
10-11-2012, 02:52 AM
Is your Ulu a commercial model? If so, which?

KeS

358Hammer
10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
My Favorite ULU isn't made any more. The Magnum Ulu on this link comes close!

I also have the Coho filet and Bear cub sure grip fixed blade knifes. Highly recommend these products!

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/store.asp?c=17

Neal

kevin_stevens
10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Tx!

KeS

BillPa
10-12-2012, 08:17 PM
In the field for dressing I use my Bucklite "Stupid Knife".
http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/bk0486orsbc3420.jpg

It goes like this. You shoot a deer, take off your jacket, roll up you sleeves and get to work. In the process of removing all the stuff inside and getting ready to drag, you look around and ask yourself "Ok Stupid, where did you lay down your knife". :redface-new:

The orange it easier for "Stupid" to find the knife among the leave, sticks, the log it sticking in and etc!

Bill

Cloonsfoot
10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Here is the knife I use for skinning. Made myself and holds a crazy sharp edge. Couldn't be happier with it.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o456/cloonsfoot/DSCN1881.jpg
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o456/cloonsfoot/DSCN1878.jpg

stumpjumper400
10-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I like my buck 110 for general work initial cutting. Rugged, sharp, and doesn't flex while going through joints. I usually don't field dress, just straight to the gambrel. I've done the whole deer with this knife but I have couple of fibrox handled butcher knives for the fine work. You can do it with just about any good sharp knife. A butcher's steel is your best friend if you know how to use it. Keep em razor sharp.

Gabowhunter1
10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
The part of the job that will dull an edge quick is cutting through the hide. For this, I use a standard razor knife with roofing blades or shingle cutting blades in it. This basically gives you a replaceable blade gut hook. I use my fixed blade Benchmade for the rest of the job. Doing it this way, I only need to sharpen my Benchmade after about 5 deer or 3 hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowtie
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
I use the Gerber Metolius Exchange-A-Blade system and love it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Knives/Metolius-Exchange-a-blade-Knife_31-000587

87predator
11-02-2012, 08:36 AM
I had one of those Cabelas special knives (trekker) brand i think, given to me as a gift for Christmas a few years back. Love it. It keeps a great edge. Has done everything from skinning deer and calves to killing pigs.

r3dn3ck
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
The Havalon Piranta is about the best general processing knife I've ever used. It's a folder with real scalpel blades a bit like a field version of an exacto knife. Provided you're not splitting bone it's perfect. The scalpel blades are always sharp, they're cheap to replace when they dull so you always have a sharp blade handy. Keeping a small package of spare blades is a zero weight issue. I've used them on pig and deer and they're just fantastic. Nothing processed as quickly.

I keep a Piranta in my bag even if I don't plan to use it. If my primary knife (a hand-made by me custom with damascus steel and a burled Yew wood handle) dulls out from rough field use, I still have the Piranta. I avoid splitting bones now as it's faster with my knife selection to pull every bit of meat off with the skeleton intact.

helotaxi
11-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm amazed this thread got to page 3 without mention of the Piranta or any of the Havalon knives. I was using my Buck fixed blade skinning knife, and it was doing a pretty good job, until the butcher/game processor handed me his Piranta. Not even in the same league. I have a Piranta on order now. $0.35 for a new razor sharp blade when it gets dull. No need for a stone or steel or any of that other stuff.

r3dn3ck
11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
looks like you and I know a good thing when we see one.

A tip, don't use the same wavy hand motions and long strokes you use with a fixed blade with it. It's better to look at how a surgeon holds a scalpel and to mimic that as closely as possible. The thing works best when you allow it to be at the end of the V of the cut while you pull one side away and just press the knife into the cut to keep it widening.

memilanuk
11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Glad someone brought this thread back to life... after going deer hunting for the first time in years this fall, I realized two things. One, somewhere along the line the nice field knife with the fancy hi-tech steel got separated from my pack somewhere along the way and two, my Benchmade folder, while very nice for its intended purpose, is not something I want to have to gut/skin a deer with again.

Interesting seeing the mention of the old Case knives... my dad had one of those that served probably one of the most humble existences... the leather sheath had been bolted (literally) to the frame of the tractor cab in our John Deere 4020 that we used when feeding cattle on the ranch back home. The knife's purpose? Quick grab for hopping out of the cab to slice the twine on the big round bales before firing up the bale spreader to string the hay out for the cow

I always thought it was kind of a cool design; might have to get one for more 'normal' uses next fall ;)

Elkbane
11-06-2012, 11:07 AM
This is what I've used for the last 15 or so years. From A.G. Russel Company.

http://www.agrussell.com/dh-russell-original-design-canadian-belt-knife/p/DHRhhh1S/

The eliptical blade shape makes it easy to sharpen, it has really good steel, and the handle is cormfortable in the hand for either skinning, field dressing or general use. In the time I've owned it, it's gone through scads of deer (I seem to be the designated "cleaner" at our camp since I'm fast at it) and probably 15 or so elk - 10 of mine and at least 5 others - just guessing. The knife has a thick spine for strength and a good bevel on the blade edge. Just a solid, well-designed knife. If I lost it, I'd have another coming the next day...
Elkbane

woodsman416
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I got this set well over 20 years ago. I only use the small "bird & trout" knife. I've dressed hundreds of deer with it. I don't think I've ever used the guthook skinner.
http://www.knivesplus.com/western-knife-hunter-wr-182.html