PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length

sash
12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I have found a old .243 that i would like to turn into a youth rifle for my two boys. The blueing has wore off on the end of the barrel abit. I was wondering if I was to shorten the barrel what would be the minimum length I would want go and still have good accuracy. Also planning on shortening the stock as well. Any advice would be helpfull.

MikeS in CO
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
As the barrel gets shorter, it gets stiffer. Accuracy will probably improve at the cost of muzzle velocity. It may not make a noticeable difference depending on the kind of shooting they will do. If the new crown is bad, all bets are off though. All in all it is probably a good gun for them and a shorter barrel will make it easier for them to shoulder. Min legal is 16" and I'd recommmend at least 16.5" just to avoid any questions. Also 26" min OAL on the rifle.

bsekf
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
You can go down to 16 inches as long as the OAL is 26 inches and be legal. Virgil King says 21 3/4 inch.

MikeS in CO
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
If Vigil is the guy from the Houston warehouse, you can take every word to the bank. I don't know what it is about 21-3/4" but anyone who can put 5 shots into those TINY groups time after time knows his stuff.

Hammer
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM

One other option is to screw on an additional length of barrel and make it a 40+ incher.

ellobo
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
No need to go ultra short. You just want to eliminate the worn end of the barrel, so take it down to 20-22 inches and keep that .243 with reasonable velocity. I would have a gusmith do the barrel to guarantee a square muzzle and good crown. As they grow, add spacers to the stock. I did pretty much the same thing for my grandkids but left the barrel alone.

El Lobo

GaCop
12-09-2011, 08:26 AM
No need to go ultra short. You just want to eliminate the worn end of the barrel, so take it down to 20-22 inches and keep that .243 with reasonable velocity. I would have a gusmith do the barrel to guarantee a square muzzle and good crown. As they grow, add spacers to the stock. I did pretty much the same thing for my grandkids but left the barrel alone.

El Lobo

+1, 20" would be a good length, velocity loss would not be that bad.

bsekf
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Mike S, Yes it is that Virgil King. That was quite a few years ago but I don't think barrel harmonics have changed. 21 and 3/4 inch just kept coming up as the best length. I can't even imagine a 1/4 oz trigger and lapping barrel threads.

Short barrel = fast powder, you are not going to get br accuracy but minute of deer ought to be easy. I have a 15 inch 7mmX444 Encore. It will shoot 5 inches at 500 yards if the wind isn't blowing and I can get my mind in idle. ;D

You will have to have the muzzel crowned and I recommend a gunsmith and a lathe.

243LPR
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a 20" model seven 243 that will put 3 Bergers under an inch no problem.Kills deer like lightning.