PDA

View Full Version : Somebody poke holes in this idea...

CAPTBEACH
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
OK...

I'm thinking of making what I call a "Handy Rifle" a small truck gun of moderate caliber in this case .308. Good and very capable of shots inside and up to 400 yards or so and no more. This is not a long range gun...its a "go to gun" when you need something quick to make a fast shot on a target of opportunity.

Short Action Accu-Trigger or Stevens Action to keep the price down

Savage Striker barrel in .308 at 14" http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1251800&filter=savage+striker&catid=0 threaded for a 2-2 1/2" flash Suppressor then pinned or welded for a legal 16" barrel.

Newer DBM Accustock bought used and fore end shortened by a few inches and LOP shortened by a good 1 1/2-2", barrel channel free floated, bedded and a decent trigger installed (if Stevens action used) I'm a short guy and a shorter LOP works for me.

Scout rail installed on the action/barrel and a true "Scout Scope" of 3-4 power, probably a Burris http://www.burrisoptics.com/specialty.html

What I'd like to end up with is a very accurate, very small, light weight and legal package with a DBM to use SSS or other extended mags with.

Comments on the concept? Has it been done?

Capt Beach

lonestardiver
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a shortened model 12 4x4.

I am not sure an accustock will work on a non-accustock receiver. ???
Action acrew spacing will be critical there..

But with that said...it would be easier to shape/trim a wooden stock.
They can be inletted for a DBM...you may be able to find a used one suitable
for the modification. Seems to me that one of the companies that either makes stocks
or the bottom metal for the DBM can do the inletting, I just forget who.

Consider a 4.40" stagger feed action and a duramax stock...for light weight and minimal
stiffening. Not sure who the DBM would work but it gives you a light sturdy stock to work with.

stangfish
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I am not sure an accustock will work on a non-accustock receiver. ???
Action acrew spacing will be critical there..

Consider a 4.40" stagger feed action

Huh??????????????????
Are you speculating or are you passing out information?

Salvo
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm wanting something similar, but my approach will be to simply take a heavy-barreled .308 and cut it down to 18". - I like a little heft up front, it steadies my aim.

A scout-type scope setup. I like Burris scopes for that. It's easy to come up with custom mounts for a heavy bull barrel with no taper.

No muzzle brake, I can handle the recoil and the gun will be loud enough.

That's just me though, your setup sounds great too.

Good luck with your build.

Cycler
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't get the 14" barrel plus a permanant a flash supressor to make it legal. Do you really need a flash supressor and the 14" barrel will cost you more velocity than the already short 16" barrel.

CAPTBEACH
12-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I don't get the 14" barrel plus a permanant a flash supressor to make it legal. Do you really need a flash supressor and the 14" barrel will cost you more velocity than the already short 16" barrel.

LEGAL limit is 16" or you need an SBR TAX Stamp and ATF approval. The 14" Striker Barrel + a welded/pinned suppressor gets me to 16" OAL and a flash suppressor/brake. A NEW Striker .308 barrel is $69.95 at Numrich and is small shank, screws onto a SA I'm looking for 16" finished length w/FS. I'm cutting the fore end as well to shorten the stock and trim a little more weight.

I too appreciate the extra weight for steadying an offhand shot but that's with a rifle that's already got some heft to it...sounds antithetical heavy is better but I'm going for VERY LIGHT WEIGHT. target weight is 5.5-6lbs with scope.

An Accustock DBM and Accutrigger SA would make a good donor as they would work together. With the one piece piccatiny rails for the scope mounts available (EGW) and the proliferation of AR15 Scout rails and rail extensions it wont be hard to fab a proper scout rail.

Lopping off an inch+ of LOP isnt a hard thing to do either...

I like the term above...Model 10 4x4 maybe JEEP RIFLE...

Capt Beach

handirifle
12-07-2011, 03:43 AM
I would question the 400yd part. With the 308, the bullet will certainly get there, but it depends on what you expect it to do once it does. A 308 from a 14" barrel will lose a LOT of velocity. The kicker, in this case, is usually we use heavy bullets (175gr +) to retain energy down range, but that assumes a launching speed of around 2500fps, and that would be from a 22-24" barrel.

Longer barrels are usually needed to get every bit of speed from that heavy slug. My guess is, with a 175gr, you will do well to get 2100fps MV with a 175gr bullet. You can get much higher MV's from lighter bullets, say a 150gr, but will lose downrange energy faster.

I say lose the flash suppressor, and buy a 308 take off barrel for less than the striker, and gain a little bit of velocity. To me, your combo makes a not so ideal tactical rifle and an OK hunting rifle, but maybe that is your goal. The flash from a flash suppressed 14" 308 barrel will still blind you temporarily, when fired at night. Plus, you insure there is NO CHANCE there is any crossing the line to an NFA rifle.

nemhed
12-07-2011, 09:31 AM
The only thing I would question would be the "Scout Scope" set-up. From what I've seen the FOV for a 4x scout scope is about half that of a standard 4x rifle scope which is unacceptable to me. I also don't think a scout scope is any faster on target than a standard scope. I'm sure some people really like the concept and handling characteristics of a scout scope equipped rifle, I'm just not one of them. Still though it sounds like you're on you way to a great handling gun that will suit your needs well. As I've discovered, a short, light, fast handling rifle that goes everywhere with you is a whole lot better than a long, heavy tack driver sitting at home in the safe.

Ray Gunter
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I say lose the flash suppressor, and buy a 308 take off barrel for less than the striker, and gain a little bit of velocity.

+1

CAPTBEACH
12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Up the ante and go with 300 WSM? 308 on steroids> 14" Striker velocities are reported in the 2300-2900fps range...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_49/ai_102274461/

So what velocities did we actually see from the 14-inch barrel of the Savage Striker? With Winchester's 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip, the chronograph read speeds of very nearly 2,900 fps. The 180-grain Fail Safe load clocked at 2,600 fps. The Federal 180-grain Grand Slam was just a bit more sedate, at 2,300 fps.

Really that much of an issue?

From G&A 7/89
Load......22".....21".....20"......19"....18.5"
150FL...2674...2636..2617....2595...2598

From G&A 9/87, handload with IMR4320
Load......24"......22".....20".....18".....16"
180HL..2700...2660...2620...2550...2480

From Nosler 5th Edition Manual
Load.............................24"......14"
150/48.0/IMR4064......2920....2730

On the topic of muzzle velocity, in short barrels, I have a Savage
Striker, in .308 Win, with a 14" barrel, that doesn't have a
muzzle break, so it is a true 14" barrel. Measured velocity,
for my 130 gr. Barnes XBT load, driven with a near max charge
of W748, is 2775 fps average. If you want to shoot short barrels,
load with fast powders.

bsekf
12-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I beleive there is a minimum overall length for a rifle, 26 inches sticks in my mind. A short barrel bull pup dosen't make it. The rig your talking about probably would.

I agree with a 16 1/2 to 18 inch barrel, maybe port it, but forget the flash suppressor.