PDA

View Full Version : Easy Change?

Appleseed
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Have read the directions here in the how-to page to change bolt heads. I trade barrels, reload, etc., nothing complicated. Putting a pistol together and have a .223 barrel and action. Is it complicated to change the bolt head up? Don't suppose it is advisable to change the entire bolt? Don't want to chance tearing the bolt apart and not have the know how to make the switch.

songdogslayercrbn
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
It's pretty simple to do. not much to it just uncock the firing pin before you try to take it apart. makes life much easier!

GaCop
12-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Follow the instructions in the tech section and you won't have any problems.

northlander
12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Which Action are you going to be using for your pistol build?

Jim Briggs
NSS

Appleseed
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
The custom shop built one in left hand/left bolt small shank/10 model. It is blued and det mag with bottom metal. Stock is being copied from a vlp adding a straight pistol grip. I'm right handed, figured this left/left might be a good set up.

northlander
12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Did Savage ship it to your dealer as a Action only or was it shipped as a Model 10 Action? I only ask this to make sure you are not using a designated action (Model 10, 11, 12, 14 or 16). If you are going to build a pistol you can only do this with a non-designated action. Savage builds Sporter, Varmint and Target Actions that are all non-designated actions. Using one of these is not an issue in a pistol build. It becomes a federal felony to use a designated action for a handgun build without a special ATF tax stamp allowing you to use a rifle action.

Did not mean this as anything but a friendly heads up. Now days a guy can get into enough trouble without walking in a minefield like ATF regulations.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Appleseed
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Shipped to FFL as non-designated, was careful to get it right beforehand with both our ATF office and with the factory.

That1guy
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Did Savage ship it to your dealer as a Action only or was it shipped as a Model 10 Action? I only ask this to make sure you are not using a designated action (Model 10, 11, 12, 14 or 16). If you are going to build a pistol you can only do this with a non-designated action. Savage builds Sporter, Varmint and Target Actions that are all non-designated actions. Using one of these is not an issue in a pistol build. It becomes a federal felony to use a designated action for a handgun build without a special ATF tax stamp allowing you to use a rifle action.

Did not mean this as anything but a friendly heads up. Now days a guy can get into enough trouble without walking in a minefield like ATF regulations.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Do you sell non-designated actions?

northlander
12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
That1guy,
I do have a few of the Savage non-designated action available at this time. Suggest you call me as time permits - 763/682-4296.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Appleseed
12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Jim, the action is flat blued like the 10 series. The factory knew what to send the ffl. I'm waiting a stock from a fellow in Kingsport TN, not too far west of here. The first one will have to be worked to fit/finish. Hope to get it shaped so he can easy copy in the duplicating machine. He has some nicely figured woods.