PDA

View Full Version : 22lr or 22 wmr for coyote problem?

scnewt
12-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Quick question, I have encountered a coyote problem since I moved cattle onto my land. I usually shoot my deer rifles at coyotes but now have cows in the field to and don't want to accidently shoot one of them. Will a 22lr or a 22wmr be sufficient? Or do I need to take a 12ga?

Thanks

Blue Avenger
12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
your only going to get that close once or twice and then your going to have to step up the power and range again.

Eric in NC
12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
your only going to get that close once or twice and then your going to have to step up the power and range again.

+1 - wouldn't count on a 22LR anchoring a yote and no way you will get close enough to use it unless you just get lucky.

What type of deer rifle do you have? Develop some loads using varmint bullets that won't over penetrate or ricochet and be careful with your shots.

darkker
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
"accidentally shoot them" sounds like "didn't pay attention to what was behind my target".
Stay with the big guns, coyotes train REALLY quickly, and will sitvatbthe edge of 22 range If you don't kill them.

scnewt
12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Right now I have a .270, 270wsm, and a 30-06. I could use my brothers .243 though. I have better luck calling them in at night and that was why I was worried about accidently shooting one. If I hunt at night, I may or may not be able to see the cattle.

kslefty
12-06-2011, 12:13 AM
For night work a 12 guage loaded with a 3" #4 buck will drop them out to 40 yards easily, maybe 50 yards.

MrMajestic
12-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Right now I have a .270, 270wsm, and a 30-06. I could use my brothers .243 though. I have better luck calling them in at night and that was why I was worried about accidently shooting one. If I hunt at night, I may or may not be able to see the cattle.

Sounds like you need a better light. ;)
Try a Larson or Elusive Wildlife "Kill Light"

scnewt
12-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Dang it. I didn't need something else to buy!!! :-\ Which color would be better green or red? I'm interested in the Elusive Wildlife light since they offer a mountable light.

quickkillaught6
12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
scnewt: i have killed plenty of dogs with a 22lr. but at 40 yards covered in a guille suite or in the dead of winter sitting for 6-8 hours waiting patiently for the right time to shoot. it all has to do with set up and wind. coyotes flock to cattle because they eat the cow pies when foods lacking. so you will probably continue to have this problem. coyote hunting at night is a bit of a challenge i use lights myself and if i were you id consider a nice coon light ushually pick one up cheap used that lasts for 6-8 hours and invest in a scope light as well. if you still cant or dont feel comfortable shooting take someone with you to run a brighter red filtered spot that can (light up) the target as it comes in. some calls attract cows so beware of that as well. best bet wait til its a nice bright night though if youre unsure. coyote calling at night is combersome and taskly and if you wait til mid january or a good cold snap and some snow theyll come out in the miday sun and you can shootem then. preperation and awareness of where they are coming from and how they pass through will be your best bets for ambushing. as said before though coyotes are very very quick learning animals. shoot straight and best of luck.

shovelheadave
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Dang it. I didn't need something else to buy!!! :-\ Which color would be better green or red? I'm interested in the Elusive Wildlife light since they offer a mountable light.

My $02 - I really like my EWT set up, I use red.

The XLT250 is a great scope mounted unit but, not really good for scanning, the beam is narrow and you really shouldn't be scanning with your rifle.

Again, IMO - The XLT100 is a superb scanner and using the hat mount is about as convenient a tool as I've ever used.

fyimo
01-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I's step up and save for a 223 or 22-250.

scnewt
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Maybe a 22-250 would be nice to have.. Then again I wouldn't mind having an ar15 either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk