PDA

View Full Version : stock modification

jraney
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
hey just wondering if any of you folks have had the idea and then proceeded to modify a stock. for instance i have a stevens 200 and the stock is not so good, so i was going to get 1 from stockade but i have problems with spending that much on something like that, i know others would not but i do. plus this gun is really going to be for just varmint hunting and riding in the truck, so i do not need an expensive stock for what i do. so i took it upon myself to modify it. I started out by looking at other stocks and getting an idea of what i would want and i decided that i really like the A5 style of stock. so i got me some plywood and cut some strips to go under and along side the existing fore arm. i then screwed them to the stock to stiffen things up abit. after that i took the dremmil and gave myself a bit more of clearance on the barrel channel. as of right now that is all i have done but i plan on sanding and shaping some more areas with some bondo or something like that, when i get it all shaped and sanded i plan to fiberglass over it all for better cosmetics, and then some paint. I know some of you will probly wonder why i do this instead of just buying what i want well it has to do with money basically and i also get bored living here in town where there is nothing for me to do. plus the wood was freeand it was raining outside so i went int in to the garage and started to biuld. back to the beginning now i would like to see pics of ya'lls work and i will try to get some of mine up also.

rsbhunter
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Have not done much glass work, alittle....remember that the glass mat/cloth and resin will add to the thickness of it...but seeing as i am in the process of making a B&C Medalist sporter stock into a centerfeed version, and thats its snowing here in New Mexico... it is perfect time to work on a project!....it's only a stock.....and it's ALWAYS a learning experience whether it works out the first time or not....just go slow, have fun, and post pics of the progress....rsbhunter

jraney
12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
i was thinking about the thickness earlier, if things are too thick i think i could just use some thinner wood. as of right now it is just held on with some screws. i will get some pics on sometime this week, got alot planned to do at work for the next 2 weeks so not alot goin on with the stock but i should be able to get the pics.

kruzr69
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Here is a link i found of something similar.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-tactical-rifle-project-1.php

Terry Balding
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I filled a Savage plastic stock with epoxy. It stiffed up. I would use JB weld if I were to do it again.

Terry

jraney
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
hey thanks for the link. i got to thinking last night about all the wood on my stock and i think i may just leave the wood on the bottom of the forend and remove the wood from the sides. once doing that it will lose some weight but that is fine, i think i will replace the wood with bondo or may some spray faom like suggested in the link. i have tried the bed liner stuff and it seems to work pretty good although i did not try it on a gun stock. i also got to looking at my design and i think it looks more like a medalist instead of the A5, either 1 will be fine i mainly just want stability and a vertical grip, i might try to put a butt hook on the stock just not real sure yet. thanks for the replies.

jraney
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww109/jraney_01/th_guns003.jpg (http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww109/jraney_01/?action=view&current=guns003.jpg)here it is so far.

jraney
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
wow that did not work out like i thought it would. if you click on the pic it should take you to the photobucket page and you can see more by clicking on the previuos button at the top of the pic. try not to laugh to hard it is still a work in progress. the other rifle in the pic is my mod10 predator in .22-250. it is next if this works out.