PDA

View Full Version : Use Die to chase barrel threads?

glocker17
11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Couldnt find an answer to this via search so here it goes. Removed the barrel off of my 308, and its was Mike Tyson tight, with what appeared to be lots of blueing salts in the threads. Kind of buggered the barrel nut threads so I ordered a new one. The barrel shank now has one small area where the threads were slightly sharpened or "squezzed" so that barrel nut wont thread on. I think I could knock the edge down with a file, but would I be better of picking up a die to chase them. If so, I understand that the Brownells die might not be the exact correct pitch. What is the general opinion here?

Thanks in advance for you guys input.

Blake

BillPa
11-17-2009, 02:00 AM
For a small spot? I'd just use a file to clean it up.

Bill

Woodser
11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
If you can find a thread file of the correct pitch, that would be the safest and cheapest way to touch them up. Industrial supply houses carry thread files.

glocker17
11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Tried the file today, but didnt get any better. I dont want to screw up the barrel, as I just spend $ having it cut down and threaded. I guess I will bit the bullet and buy a die to clean up the bad spot. Any recommendations on a source, as the only one I know of is brownells? I am not sure about the thread file, but if I have to spend some money I think I'll bite the bullet on a die. Cant have to many tools I guess.

Blake

geargrinder
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Thread file will be the cheapest and probably the best way to fix your threads.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt2249.html

Balljoint
11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
What size is your barrel, large or small shank also try Harbor Freight if they are near were you live for the thread file or go for the thread die if not using it for heavy work.

glocker17
11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Its a small shank, I just figured the die might keep me from screwing up as easily.

sinman
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
just use a 20tpi file, its the same large and small