PDA

View Full Version : New Savage - in 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Pages : [1] 2

rsilvers
12-02-2011, 02:04 AM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10+PRECISION+CARBINE

PBinWA
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Nice! That was going to be one of my future builds. I look forward to seeing them on the market.

You are sure getting this cartridge represented!

Cycler
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
How do the "Blackout" line of cartridges differ from the "Whisper" line? Aren't both intended to fire heavy for caliber bullets at sub-sonic velocities?

rsilvers
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
With full power ammo, they are about the same as 7.62x39mm power. It makes a good lower-rcoil round in a bolt gun, or subsonic is the best choice. In an AR - it is the best way to shoot 30 caliber bullets as AK ammo has various issues.

Both 300-221, but Whisper(R) is proprietary and 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a SAAMI standard. Remington and a lot of other companies make 300 BLK ammo now. There are over 70 companies supporting it, and 30 different gun makers.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300%20AAC%20Blackout.pdf

Spend a day reading here - tons of info:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

* AAC - uppers, rifles, silencers, and ammunition.
* Adams Arms - rifles and uppers.
* All Weather Arms - brass processing.
* AR-Stoner - barrels.
* Atlanta Arms - ammo.
* Barnes Bullets - ammo, bullets.
* BFG Cartridges - Savage barrels.
* Black Hole Weaponry - barrels.
* Brad's Warehouse - converted brass.
* Bushmaster Firearms - uppers and rifles.
* BWE Firearms - rifles, uppers, and suppressors.
* CMMG - barrels, uppers, and ammo.
* Compass Lake Engineering - AR barrels.
* Cor-Bon - ammo
* Core15 - rifles, uppers.
* Delta Company Arms - rifles, barrels, uppers.
* Dillon Precision - reloading conversion kits.
* Double Tap - ammo.
* DPMS - rifles and uppers.
* DS Arms - rifles and uppers.
* Forster - reloading dies.
* Grim Reaper Tactical - barrels and uppers.
* Gunn - ammo.
* Hornady - ammo, dies, brass.
* Kel-Tec - SU16C.
* Kiss Tactical - lowers.
* Lee - reloading dies.
* L.E. Wilson - case gauges.
* Lewis Machine and Tool - barrels, uppers, rifles.
* Loki Weapon Systems - uppers/rifles.
* Lone Star Armory - 300 AAC BLACKOUT marked lowers.
* Lothar Walther - barrels.
* LWRCI - rifles.
* Match Grade Machine - Thompson barrels.
* McGowen Barrel - Savage and other barrels.
* McCourt Munitions - ammo.
* Model 1 Sales - AR barrels/uppers
* Montana Rifleman - barrels.
* Noveske - rifles and uppers.
* Olympic Arms - rifles and uppers.
* One Shot - ammo.
* Pac-Nor - barrels.
* Pacific Tool and Gauge - reamers and gauges.
* PalmettoStateArmory - uppers.
* PNW Arms - ammo.
* Primary Weapons Systems - rifles and uppers.
* Rainer Arms - barrels.
* Raven Armament Company - ammo and uppers.
* Redding - dies.
* Remington - ammunition.
* Right 2 Bear Ammo - ammunition.
* Robarms - XCR Micro rifle.
* Ron Williams - barrels.
* RUAG - ammo.
* Satern Custom Machining, Inc. - barrels.
* Savage - rifles.
* Selph Arms LLC - barrels, uppers, re-chambering, and rifles.
* SI Defense - barrels.
* Sig Sauer - rifles.
* Smith & Wesson - rifles, uppers.
* Sierra - bullets.
* SilencerCo - silencers.
* Southern Ballistic Research - ammo.
* Southwest Ammunition, LLC - ammo.
* Spike's Tactical - uppers and rifles.
* Summit - ammo.
* Surefire - 300 BLK sound suppressor.
* The Bullet Works - bullets and ammunition.
* Triton Arms - AR barrels.
* Ultra Tech - ammo (Australia)
* Umlaut Industries - 300 BLK caliber marked Rifles, Upper and Lowers. 16" and 10" Factory Title II.
* White Oak Precision - AR barrels.
* Wilson Combat - rifles, hunting and self defense ammunition.

wilmuny205
12-04-2011, 12:35 AM
I didn't see a twist rate ??? If it's fast I'll be buying the first one I can get my hands on!

snowgetter1
12-04-2011, 01:11 AM
I also saw hodgen has data on their website.

Varget 7-08
12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Any idea of what barrel contour this will be?

Sundo
12-05-2011, 02:34 AM
IIRC, the other Precision Carbine calibers come in a light varmint contour with .750 inch diameter at the muzzle.

It's interesting that the weight figures have been removed from Savage's web site. One article noted the actual weight of a PC was a full pound heavier than what Savage was listing before. I wonder if Savage is going to post more honest weights or if the actual weight will be changed.

Chrisg19
12-05-2011, 08:48 AM
To take full advantage of this cartridge the barrel needs to 16", 1:8 twist. Regardless, it is nice to see Savage getting on the bandwagon.

Thanks Robert for your work in getting the 300/221 standardized!

GSRswapandslow
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM

snowpro440
12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
You would think that if savage is gonna build the 300aac blackout that it would have a threaded barrel ?

rsilvers
12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Subsonic ammo has a greater chance of going supersonic in barrels over 16 inches. So they should really do this as a threaded 16 inch barrel with a 1/8 or faster twist.

GSRswapandslow
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM

GSRswapandslow
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
You would think that if savage is gonna build the 300aac blackout that it would have a threaded barrel ?

if you look at the page, look at the bottom of the specs...it DOES have a threaded barrel! I missed it the first time and someone on the hide pointed it out

helotaxi
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
in a rimfire...yeah....but much less in a centerfire, it's completely in the load. centerfires loose about 20fps PER INCH.....so 40fps...yeah, negligible

Those numbers are a totally arbitrary approximation.

rsilvers is part of the AAC design team, I think he knows this round and what effects different barrel lengths will have a bit better than you. ;)

bootsmcguire
12-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Glad to see it being offered. May have to start saving my pennies and dimes. If I manage to save enough pennies and dimes maybe I'll Name the gun 409. :D

Hooz
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
The SAAMI spec for the 300 Blackout designates a 16" barrel. Anyone can build longer or shorter barrels, but ammo manufacturers loading subsonic ammo based on the SAAMI spec will be testing with a 16" barrel. So yes, depending on how close to the supersonic cut-off the ammo is, it could very well go too fast from a 20" barrel.

Most of the factory loads are aiming for 1020-1040fps from a 16" barrel.

SuperChuck
12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Its typically burning very fast rate powders. Supersonics are using V110, H110. Speed increase from 10" barreled SBR's to 16.5" full length A/R barrels is slightly affected by the supersonic rounds, for the subsonics, they use a slightly lower speed powders, but they are still getting consistent speed from those barrel ranges.

Remington had a batch of subsonics loaded earlier this year that was going from subsonic to supersonic in longer barrels, but I think thats been taken care of now.

Overall, the SAAMI barrel specification is 16(1/2?) inches versus a 26 inch for high power rifle rounds, the comparison is not as exact as the tried-and true rules of thumb that we're accustomed to.

I actually have one of the AAC/Remington Micro Model 7's. It makes a nice compact rifle, but once the Savage is out, thats going to be my Go-To gun. I like to stick with what I know :-)

Ammo is already in the sub-$20 range in some instance, reformed brass is $0.10/each and new stamped/primed brass is reasonable. I have a feeling there's going to be alot of fun had with this round.. Heck, I even bought a 247gr 30 cal bullet mold for those really heavy/long subsonic loads...LOL

Regards,

SC

Pharmboy
12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Looks like a nice rifle. I hope it will be able to extract the empty brass. I have a 16" 300/221 on a stevens but can't get it to consistantly extract the brass. There is several articles on this board about that issue.

Pharmboy

hunter2
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
SSS has released a new button head extractor that works a lot better than the stock one. Will let you know as soon as mine gets here.