PDA

View Full Version : Douglas barrel review

psharon97
11-30-2011, 01:38 AM
First off, I've had this barrel for a few years now and wanted to share my experience with it. I went through SSS and they chambered the barrel in 308 winchester. The weight time was average I suppose for custom barrels, about 14 weeks from the time barrel was ordered to the time my rifle got to my door from SSS. (SSS Competition Trigger, recoil lug, T&T job).

When I first started working up loads for it, I stuck pretty much with Hornady V-Max 150 SST bullets. The load was IMR 4895 at 45.1g seated kind of deep. This rifle likes to jump the bullets to the lands. I went to the 150 A-Max and the groups tightened up just a little. At the time, I couldn't afford match brass, so I went with what was available.

A gunsmith allowed me to load rounds in slightly higher quality brass: mostly RP brass. The groups went from being clover leafs to even tighter. We got bored with that load and decided to use Sierra 168 bthp matchking with 41g Accurate 4064. Again got the exact same tight groups as with the 155 grain amax. Then we tried the 110g vmax bullets. The load was 50g Accurate 4064. Same tight groups. I have come under the realization that this rifle will pretty much group most any quality load. All loads were tested on a bench, target was 200m. I don't have pictures of the targets simply because I don't like going over the swamp to get pictures of the target. Can't go wrong with a Douglas barrel though.