PDA

View Full Version : Would You Recommend a AXIS

mrwgafun
11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
I just came found this forum and would like your opinion. I am thinking about getting a Savage Axis in 308. I generally shoot military surplus rifles and love them. However I would like to get something more accurate at a budet price with an optic. I have done some research and for the most part I have heard good things about the Axis. But now that I found this forum I'm not so sure. Some of you guys seem unhappy with it.

I will never hunt with the gun. I will only shoot at paper and usually at 100 yards. Also I will probably never shoot more then 40 rounds in a single range visit. If you were me would you purchase this gun or look for another budget rifle?

bootsmcguire
11-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Based on the budget rifles out there (Remington 770, Mossberg 100, Savage Axis, Stevens 200 being the first few coming to mind) I would say get the Stevens 200. It is much easier to alter and upgrade should you decide to and it is a time proven action design since it is the same as the Savage 10/110 series.

The Axis would be my 2nd choice. While affordable and accurate, it is lacking in the stock strength and currently there are no aftermarket stocks for it.

Either way go Savage or Stevens over the 770 or Mossberg, but my first choice would be the Stevens.

Also watch for the Savage Package guns. Sometimes you can pick one up pretty cheap.

Sundo
11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
IF you're not planning to upgrade parts (other than the barrel and bolt face) AND you're interested in a stainless barrel/action, I recommend the Savage Axis.

If you're NOT interested in stainless parts AND you are interested in upgrading the stock, I recommend the Stevens 200.

In any case, I'd pick either the Savage Axis or Stevens 200 over any other brand of value/budget rifle I know of.

82boy
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
The Axis is a fine rifle, if you want something that is low cost, accurate, and you have no intention of changing it. It is a great hunting rifle, and will be far more accurate than surplus rifles. My findings is the gun is as accurate as any other savage rifle. I would say it would be a great start, but if you deside to go further into rifle shooting buy something else. The Stevens 200 is a better rifle for a few dollars more, it is upgradable.

Herman
11-29-2011, 10:28 PM
If you get the Axis, you'll get bored really fast because after a few shots, you'll have to try not to shoot tight groups! For what you are looking to do, I think you'll be quite happy.

There is a lot of negativity around the gun from people who like to do custom builds and like guns with every bell and whistle. However, 9 times out of 10 people who buy one love it.

MaDa
11-30-2011, 12:50 AM
I've found more Stevens 200 models for dirt cheap in my area then I would know what to do with. Usually $30-$50 cheaper than the comparible axis/edge. I'd choose one of those two over the other manufactures also.

And if your only punching paper at 100, go with a different round that costs less to shoot. No sense in paying more for the glory of putting a bigger hole in paper at 100. And if you plan on changing it(caliber) up. You can always hunt or go out to 300yds. With the savages that is. And it's the easiest to do that with a Stevens model.

mrwgafun
11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
First thank you all for the feedback. I have a Savage 93R17 and I love it. It is very accurate. They only thing I dislike about it is the clip that holds the magazine in. I don't know much about the Stevens 200. Is it just as accurate?

Garpo
11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I will never hunt with the gun. I will only shoot at paper and usually at 100 yards. Also I will probably never shoot more then 40 rounds in a single range visit. If you were me would you purchase this gun or look for another budget rifle?

That’s what my criteria was when I decided to buy my .308 Axis. Although I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for hunting.
Love mine and have no regrets. ;D

bootsmcguire
12-01-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't know much about the Stevens 200. Is it just as accurate?

the Stevens 200 is just a Savage 10/110 series action with a standard trigger instead of the accu-trigger. Stevens actions and barrels are of the same quality as the Savage Models, only exception is the old style trigger and the bluing is not usually polished as much as the Savage. Accuracy is the equal of the Savage. All of the Savage/Stevens/Axis models are usually accurate right out of the box. The big advantage of the Stevens over the Axis is the aftermarket support should the need to repair or upgrade the rifle arise.

rooster57
01-31-2012, 12:39 AM
I've never owned a Stevens but have never heard anything bad about any Savage rifle to be honest. I think there are a number of shooters that don't like the apperence or Savage rifles for whatever reason but that is a prefference issue. Either one Stevens or Axis would make a great rifle.

IMHO if you want a rifle that you will enjoy shooting a lot, get it in the 7mm-08. It has better ballistics than the .308 with slightly more recoil than a .243 Has the inherited spot on accuracy derived from the .308 brass necked down to a 7mm bullet.

Happy shooting!

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
BE WARNED

All of the Savage guns are very addictive. Once you find out that all you have to do to change a 22-250 to a 308,7-08 etc is a new bbl you will never be the same.

Two Stevens actions and a couple spare bolt heads will have you shooting almost any caliber you can find a bbl maker to chamber.

Just ask some here how many bbls they have in stock. Only 2 actions and 2 stocks to keep track of.

You to can get board putting 10 rounds in a 1" circle at 100 yards ALL the time. :)

dacaur
01-31-2012, 10:50 PM
I dont know where you would have gotten the idea very many people are unhappy with the gun... most things I read are positive. Mine is a tack driver, and took my first deer last october, and will hopefully take another this year..... Its .308 too, it around 1" at 100 yards with some factory ammo. 2-3" with other. With my handloads I can get an occasional .5" group.....

If all you are doing is shooting paper, be aware these guns have hunting barrels, they are too thin for extended shooting and heat up fast. 40 rounds in 2 hours is about all I would want to shoot, and even that might be pushing it.... When I was developing a load in mine, I would shoot about 20-30 rounds per trip to the range, and spend a lot of time waiting for the barrel to cool...

I do love the gun, but its no benchrest shooter....

don lynch
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
i have an Edge and a stevens 200, both in 223 and love both. the Edge with the detach, mag. gets a bit of an advantage but not a big one. either one is a great buy.
don