PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Just bought a Savage, or did I?

bootsmcguire
11-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Well I just picked up a new 12ga tonight from a older gentleman who put an add in the paper. It is a single shot break action. It is labeled "Western Field Model SB-100A" and on the opposite side "12GA. - 3 CHAM - FULL". It has a top mounted sliding saftey (similar to a mossberg 500) and is hammerless with the release being a thumb lever that moves parallel to the barrel and is recessed into the top of the receiver. I have done a little searching for info on the net and the one thing I can find is that is was made for Western Field by Savage. The most odd part of this gun is that it has a 36 inch barrel!

Anybody got some info on this? I am gonna keep looking and will update back if I actually find anything.

flash
11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
That's a goose gun. Can't say whether or not it's a Savage but it's a goose gun for sure with that length barrel. Found out by a Google search that it is a Savage/Stevens

bootsmcguire
12-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Yup, its definitely a Savage. Kinda figured it was a Goose or older style Turkey gun. Just found it odd that an off brand (Western Field I mean ;) ) offered a goose model like this.

I used to have a Marlin M55 that was a bolt action, clip fed goose gun. Had a 36" barrel and was the only M55 I have ever seen with factory synthetic stock. All the others I have ever seen are hardwood stocked. Man, with 6 or 8 shot lead target loads there wasn't a small "target" within 80 yards that wouldn't fall. I am hoping that this one will perform with similar results and be a nice goose gun when needed. For the price I just couldn't not get it.

Flash, Thanks for the reply.

Mike Armstrong
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Many manufacturers offered "Long Tom" single shots back in the day. They were holdovers from when people believed that the longer the barrel on a shotgun, the better (and more) it would shoot black powder. That only works (sort of) for muzzle loaders, but the style carried over to breechloaders anyway. They were not called "Goose Guns" then; that seems to have been an invention of the 1950s.

thomae
01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Western Field was, IIRC, a house brand of Montgomery Wards.

bootsmcguire
01-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Wow, necro-post here, LOL.

Mike that's interesting to know. I had always heard it had to do with tighter patterning and sight radius. Learn something every day.

thomae, totally correct. Westernfield was the old Montgomery Wards store brand for firearms. They were often made by one of the bigger name brand firearms makers, and depending on what specific model number and year as to which maker's it was. The one described above turned out to be a Savage made shotgun. I used to have a Westernfield pump 12ga that was actually a Browning Hump back.

thomae
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Obviously, I don't always pay attention to the date stamp of previous posts! :rolleyes:

Mike Armstrong
01-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Personally, I don't have any problem with "Zombie posts," as long as the topic was interesting to begin with!

bootsmcguire
01-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Personally, I don't have any problem with "Zombie posts," as long as the topic was interesting to begin with!

Me neither, I was just poking fun. I had to go back and re-read my original post just to see which one this was. LOL.