PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to tumbling brass

Sundo
11-27-2011, 11:52 PM
For brass cleaning, I'm concerned primarily with removing residue from inside the once-fired case. Outside the case is a secondary concern. I don't care to polish.

For this purpose, are there better, cheaper, easier alternatives to tumbling? I think I've heard about washing in the dishwasher and drying in the oven. I've also heard about a special cleaning agent that doesn't require tumbling.

Please share any methods that reliably clean inside the case that is less cost and/or less hassle than tumbling. I will also read any comments on why tumbling is necessary or why case cleaning is not necessary at all.

squirrelsniper
11-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Iosso makes a liquid cleaner that just requires soaking the brass.

But, if all you are worried about is powder residue inside the case, you really don't need to. In my own testing I've never seen any accuracy benefit from having clean cases; the "I'm cool because I have shiny cases" factor was not tested however. The only time I tumble cases is if they fall in some mud or something.

coonhunter70
11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
ultrasonic

laportecharlie
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
If you really want to clean your brass, check out the stainless steel media used in a wet tumbler. It makes brass look better than new, including the primer pocket.
Charlie

dacaur
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
yea the hornady ultrasonic cleaner will clean the insdie spotless for ya....

nova1194
11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a sonic cleaner and it does a nice job on the inside of the brass, it does usually leave a little residue in the primer pocket though, it loosens the stuff in the pocket but you still have to hit it lightly with a brsh to get it out.
But like Charlie said wet tumble in steel media is the way to go for the best looking shiney brass inside and out.

Mike

snowgetter1
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I used the Isso cleaner prior to having a tumbler. It did clean brass but was a pain in stirring it around for about 5 minutes then rinsing it off then drying the brass. I can't remember how well it cleaned primer pockets. I like the tumbler much more.

A_Gamehog
11-30-2011, 10:32 PM
For brass cleaning, I'm concerned primarily with removing residue from inside the once-fired case.

Soak them or use an $ultrasonic$

JCalhoun
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Plastic bottle brush and denatured alcohol. The bottle brushes can be found at laboratory suppliers.

frank1947
12-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I use ultrasonic cause I am getting lazy in my old age cleans great dont have to mess with primer pockets, inside case like new, I use hornady cleaner, my machine i got off ebay you can use any machine you want makes sure it has heater