PDA

View Full Version : 6mm BR ejecting problems

mugsie
11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I picked up a SA from NSS, married it to a Shileen barrel and put it into a choate stock that I removed from my 308. Shot it today and I'm having problems ejecting. I'll call Jim on Monday to see what he says, and the research on this site says get a bigger ball for the extractor, which I'll do, but I was wondering what some of you may have come across.

What's happening is when I open the blt and pull it to the rear, the case extracts but sorta flops into the mag well. The ejector works perfectly, on every 2nd or 4rd round. I took the extractor apart this evening and it's working fine. I also removed the extractor and don't see any burrs etc. It too seems to be working as designed.

Any other ideas as to why this doesn't eject properly? (Seems like others also had this issue).

It's a DBM if I haven't said so earlier.

82boy
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Try this.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,15070.0.html

dcloco
11-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Or your ejector spring is a touch weak or short.

Would not hurt to remove the metal on the ejector as 82Boy provided the link for.

sharpshooter
11-27-2011, 03:34 AM
I've made some special ejectors to solve the problem. They are slightly bigger in diameter to fit the hole better and are longer for more travel. They also have the flat tip to push the case closer to center. So far they have worked 100%.

gotcha
11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Mugsie, Had a similar problem recently & It turned out the ejector hole had "chatter" marks from drilling. which yielded a "stuttering" ejector spring function. Replaced the bolt head & spring (which had become distorted) & it functioned just fine w/ the new smoother hole................ This may not be your problem but worth chking out. Also found that savage has two springs w/ different tensions & lengths for the LA. Not sure that this applies to your SA. ..................Are the cases that extract properly showing any signs of abrasion @ neck or shoulder/ body junction????

memilanuk
11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I have one of Fred's specially modified bolt-heads where he took a .378 bolt head and opened it up to .473 dia so that the pin would be closer to center - and I believe he did the other mods he mentioned as well. Works like a champ.

tiny68
11-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I've made some special ejectors to solve the problem. They are slightly bigger in diameter to fit the hole better and are longer for more travel. They also have the flat tip to push the case closer to center. So far they have worked 100%.

Fred - Are these BR case ejectors available if I call/email Lisa? How should I reference it when I order one? Thanks, Tim

wbm
11-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Had the same problem recently with a new center feed stock and magazine. The extractor and ejector worked fine when I had it on an older stock. When I put it on the new stock I had the same problem you are having. The problem was the ears of the magazine were too high on the new stock and it put too much friction on the round as it was being extracted. This is probably not what is wrong with yours but it is worth checking out.