PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Head swap CRF and Push feed

AJ Peacock
11-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi all, I've been away from the site for a LONG time. I tried searching and couldn't find my answer.

I have a 300WSM large shank action that I turned into a 338Edge 3 years ago. So far, so good.

Now I want to put a 'plinking' barrel on it, so I can get a bunch of trigger time.

I'm thinking a 223 or something like that. (I don't mind treating it as a single shot).

My question, the current Mag bolt head is CRF (without an ejector in the head).

Do they make CRF bolt heads for all the smaller cartridges? If so, I am looking in the wrong places.

If not, what do I need to do/swap etc. to use a "plinker" barrel. I don't want to mess up the current ejector, as I'll be using this as a 300WSM and 338Edge in the future, I just want to get a bunch of trigger time for less $$'s

Thanks,
AJ

geargrinder
11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Nope, CRF is only a magnum item. For the smaller bolt heads you'll need to remove the standing ejector to use the push feed bolt heads.

You'll also need a regular short action firing ping assembly, they are different than your short action magnum firing pin assembly.

AJ Peacock
11-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks,

I've never removed/replaced the standing ejector. Is there anything to worry about in that process?

Thanks,
AJ

geargrinder
11-26-2011, 12:51 PM
No, it's easy. It's held in by the trigger retaining pin. Pull the pin out, tip the trigger assembly out of the way, then remove the standing ejector.