PDA

View Full Version : Basic barrel removal help

mstarling
11-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Guys,

I apologize for the very basic question, but I am new to the issue and have not used the site much. My rifle is a basic barrel nut Savage in .308. A 1:10 twist, 22" heavy sporter Douglas bbl has been swapped in. The rifle has an accu-trigger and sits in a Brownell's synthetic stock. I need to pull the barrel to send it out to be threaded, then reinstall it.

Will someone please point me to a good explanation of the process and tools required to do that job, please.

(A barrel vise and a Mauser action wrench is available, and I can make a new top for the wrench if needed.)

Thank you!

bootsmcguire
11-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Here are a couple of you tube videos explaining the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsM6_J8doIE&feature=related

One is with action held and the other is with barrel held. Should give you an idea.

Hope that helps.

Boots

mstarling
11-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Appreciate the videos but can't see them on a dial-up link. Satellite connection died and we're waiting for the telephone company to get us DSL. Will probably be after the first of the year. Maddening!

mutwagn
11-26-2011, 01:47 AM
http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Barrel Swapping
HTH
Andy

chakup
11-26-2011, 11:52 AM
You could try posting where you're at and there may be a local to you willing to help and maybe even loan tools to use to do this. It's really pretty simple though.

bootsmcguire
11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
mstarling, sorry bout that, looks like mutwagn found an article here. I knew there was one but couldn't remember where.

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Barrel Swapping

Eric in NC
11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Barrel vise with good fitting blocks tightened down TIGHT, a barrel nut wrench and a DEAD BLOW hammer to whack the wrench. All you need. Since it is already an aftermarket barrel, you may not even need the hammer (factory nuts are crazy tight but most foks don't put them on that tight when replacing them).

Mauser action wrench won't work (flat bottom action) - a Rem 700 will though. Still no need for the action wrench if you have a good barrel vise.

Eric in NC
11-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh and be SURE you remove the front scope base screw - that is a through hole and many screws are too long and act as a set screw on the barrel threads!

Don - LongRangeSupply
11-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I started life as a savage barrel swapper using a barrel vise block set and a barrel nut wrench.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

Don't even bother with barrel vise blocks.

No question about it the best way to remove a barrel is with an ACTION wrench and a barrel nut wrench.
Just make a cheap wooden barrel vise block set to hold everything up while the action wrench and barrel nut wrench do the work, or skip that and lay it down on the carpet.

I haven't used my spendy barrel vise blocks for about ten years once I figured out how to do it right.

stangfish
11-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I started life as a savage barrel swapper using a barrel vise block set and a barrel nut wrench.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

Don't even bother with barrel vise blocks.

No question about it the best way to remove a barrel is with an ACTION wrench and a barrel nut wrench.
Just make a cheap wooden barrel vise block set to hold everything up while the action wrench and barrel nut wrench do the work, or skip that and lay it down on the carpet.

I haven't used my spendy barrel vise blocks for about ten years once I figured out how to do it right.

Good advise.

Con
11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Good advise.

I'll second that! Only had one tight barrel and it was an easy fix with the action wrench. Barrel vice can be handy if the nut locks onto the barrel. If you use an action wrench, use tape on the receiver to protect the finish and dont over-tighten the action wrench as it 'clasps' the receiver to the barrel. Finger tight on the action wrench bolts is all that's really required, with the lug fully supported in its recess.
Cheers...
Con