PDA

View Full Version : 10fcm vs. 11fcn

waumpuscat
11-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I am trying to get a good accurate 7.62 x 39 savage rifle in one of these models and cannot determine the difference in them. Anybody know? Thanks

darkker
11-26-2011, 12:01 AM
www.savagearms.com
Really can't tell the difference?
Unless Savage switched again, the 10FCM Scout, has a shorter pipe, scope mounted on barrel picatiney rails, ghost ring front sight.
The 11FCNS is a longer piped, plain-Jane Savage rifle; no sights, no rails.

waumpuscat
11-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Well that is what I see as well. The 22" pipe versus 20. I just wonder if there is any difference in quality of the action and accuracy. Would the scope mount in the same way?

stangfish
11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
One could reason that the scout was set up for a lightweight quick handling open sighted gun that can accomodate a low/no power scope or red dot for rapid target aquisition thats true design parameters was a rifle that has the capability to be deployed rapidly.

The 11 looks to be a hunting rifle that is chambered for a round that was designed to be chambered and extracted in the most severe enviroments imaginable and would be available worldwide.

I am going to read into your question and state that if you have an AK or an SKS and want a complimentary rifle that will keep your ammo requirements to a minimum, go with the 11. If you don't have an assault rifle and are looking for a bolt action that is very versatile the scout looks good.

thomae
11-26-2011, 05:20 PM
waumpuscat:
Not trying to be snooty, but did you try looking at the each rifle's specifications on the Savage Arms website? The differences are rather clear:

The FCM is matte, the FCNS is satin.
The FCM sports a 20.5" barrel, the FCNS has a 22" barrel.
The FCM sports a forward mounted weaver sight base for an EER/Scout type rifle scope.
The FCM has a ghost ring sight (It's actually a Williams peep sight) already installed.
The FCNS has no iron sights installed and you will need to purchase an aftermarket sight base if you wish to mount a scope - which you will, since it has no iron sights installed ;).

I own the FCM. For the effective hunting range of this particular round, my personal opinion is that the FCNS's extra inch and a half of barrel length does not get you any significant improvement over the FCM's shorter barrel.

I wanted a shorter, easy to handle rifle with open sights for use in the woods. I chose 7.62 x 39 because I had already had several thousand rounds of ammo. However, of course, I immediately started handloading just because I wanted to.

The bore in both Savage rifles is .308, but my FCM shoots .311 diameter ammo just fine. With this rifle, and with open sights, I am not getting minute of angle with factory ammo, but I am getting something accurate enough to hit a deer in the vitals.

I did invest in an adjustable iris rear sight insert so I could change the iris size depending on light conditions.

I have not tried my FCM Scout on deer, yet; hopefully that should happen on Monday.

Bottom line: I'd go with the FCM scout. more versatile and already has open sights and scope base installed.
About your only other option for a 7.62 x 39 bolt rifle is the CZ 527 carbine. I have held one, and it mounts beautifully (for me). It is supposed to be a good shooter, and has the CZ hair trigger. It is a .311 bore, so your bullet selection for handloads is much more limited than for the .308 Savage bore. The CZ is a beautiful rifle, but with my Savage Scout, I have a useful tool that I am not afraid to take out into the woods.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

All the best,
Thomae

waumpuscat
11-28-2011, 12:21 AM
You guys are the best and the information that you have provided is very helpful. I will have to give some thought to this one. It is unlikely that I will reload for whatever I get, so I know I will be shooting surplus through it with hopes of as good of groups as possible. I will be happy with anything that will allow me to mount a reasonable scope and get close to moa.

darkker
11-28-2011, 11:36 AM
..... If you are going to be shooting "surplus" especially com-bloc stuff, don't expect MOA; you may get it, but don't expect it.