PDA

View Full Version : model 10 predator in 6.5 CM ???

sgt5res
11-25-2011, 11:23 AM
im looking at buying the model 10 predator in 6.5 CM. im not exactly thrilled with a synthetic stock but it seems to be more practicle as a hunting rifle. do any of you own one of these fine rifles? do any of you own a 6.5 creedmoor chambered rifle?

also, if i just cant warm up to the synthetic stock, how easy would it be to put a laminate stock on it? will the bedding block cause an issue?

chakup
11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I have one coming I'm picking up in a trade. I'd say get it and give the stock a shot and decide from there. I'll most likely be replacing mine as I like a more "tactical" stock.

ellobo
11-26-2011, 02:13 AM
For a relatively inexpensive stock, laminate or walnut, check Boyds website. they have three models availble for either stagger feed or centerfeed. You can have them checker the stock for $50 extra and the laminate and wood are under $100 and are drop ins. No fitting required. Short or long action. One of the three models is a thumbhole. I like the prairie hunter model myself.
Wl Lobo.

sgt5res
11-26-2011, 07:24 PM
it would definatly be a laminate stock. i looked at the boyd stocks and i saw the drop ins. im just not sure if those stocks would accept the "accustock" bedding block. im going to give the synthetic stock a chance. i've never owned a rifle with synthetic stock. is the stock on the predator a cheap type of stock you would find on something like the axis?

ellobo
11-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a plastic stock on my bad weather 7x57. I make sure the barrel is free floated as well as the tang and I have had no problems as I dont mount a bipod which is what causes the most flex in the stock when used. I dont think there are many aftermarket stocks that will take the bedding block. You would need pillars and an epoxy bedding job to replace the bedding block. If you hae an accustock I dont think you will have to worry about flexing or twisting. My 7x57 shoots sub MOA with a range of bullets and that stock only has pillars. Spooky accurate.

El Lobo

sgt5res
11-26-2011, 09:54 PM
i plan on using the rifle for hunting whitetails during the fall, plucking woodchucks during the spring and summer as well as a lot of time on the range. the synthetic stock would be ideal for the whitetail hunts as long as i can get used to it.

txbdyguard
11-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I had a predator max in 260 rem with the accu stock. One of the best rifles I ever owned. Buddy wanted so bad he paid GB price for it. I bought a 16 and using the action to build me a custom from the ground up. 260 is hard to be 6.5 CM is almost a ballistic twin.

sgt5res
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
knowing that the 260 and 6.5CM were ballistic twins, i was surprised that savage offered both in the model 10 but didnt offer the 6.5 swede in the 110 model

irondog54
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd say get it and give the stock a shot and decide from there.

+1 !! 8)

wbm
11-27-2011, 09:32 PM
+2

txbdyguard
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I know why put two cartridges that are identical but stop selling regular actions only?

sgt5res
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I had a predator max in 260 rem with the accu stock. One of the best rifles I ever owned. Buddy wanted so bad he paid GB price for it. I bought a 16 and using the action to build me a custom from the ground up. 260 is hard to be 6.5 CM is almost a ballistic twin.

how's the weight on that rifle? i know numbers are just numbers.. i was surprised when i weighed my old 110 one day, it doesnt seem nearly as heavy as the scale said it was. is this going to be a rifle that'll be comfortable to walk with, or is this a stand/blind only type of rifle?

txbdyguard
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Hard to say I'm 6'4 and I threw over my shoulder and took off. Barrel is fluted on the .260 so it takes some weight off.

Sundo
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
knowing that the 260 and 6.5CM were ballistic twins, i was surprised that savage offered both in the model 10 but didnt offer the 6.5 swede in the 110 model

The popularity of 6.5 Swede in new production rifles seems to be in decline after peaking some years ago in the US. Before being turned on to Savage rifles, I had my eye on a Tikka T3 in Swede, but Beretta stopped importing those around 2009.

As a practical matter, the .260 Rem and 6.5x284 seem to be taking over the Swede as the popular 6.5 chambering. The number of factory loads in .260 is rapidly approaching that of 6.5 Swede at Midway USA. I can find Barnes TSX lead free loads in .260 but not Swede.

If I ever get around to ordering custom barrels for my Savage, the first one will be in 6.5x55.

sgt5res
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM

The popularity of 6.5 Swede in new production rifles seems to be in decline after peaking some years ago in the US. Before being turned on to Savage rifles, I had my eye on a Tikka T3 in Swede, but Beretta stopped importing those around 2009.

As a practical matter, the .260 Rem and 6.5x284 seem to be taking over the Swede as the popular 6.5 chambering. The number of factory loads in .260 is rapidly approaching that of 6.5 Swede at Midway USA. I can find Barnes TSX lead free loads in .260 but not Swede.

If I ever get around to ordering custom barrels for my Savage, the first one will be in 6.5x55.

its funny that you mention the T3 in 6.5 swede. i was actually inbetween the two. i loved the savage predator since i saw it for the first time. it had everything that i wanted except for a laminated stock. but after looking into the 6.5 creedmoor i was hooked on it. a friend of mine suggested the sede so i started reading up on it. if what you say is true about the tikka swede rifle not being available in the US anymore... than it kinda make my decision a lot simpler. i thought about putting a barrel on my 270 but i dcided to keep it as is because it was first rifle that i ever bought and i shot my first buck with it., so i'll be keeping that one for sure.