PDA

View Full Version : Light-Weight Hunter Magazine

Savage Hunter
11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm wondering if one can easily swap out the plastic trigger guard and plastic magazine on the LWH and replace it with the metal trigger guard and and metal magazine, like the ones used on the other 110-based rifles like the M114 American Classic? If so, does any of the wood need to altered in any way to make it happen?

sharpshooter
11-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Yes, it is interchangable. What would be the point of a light weight gun if your'e adding weight?

Savage Hunter
11-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the metal magazines, like those on the Model 14's and 16's, but I do not like the plastic magazines, like those on the Axis. I also like lightweight rifles for certain applications. Not only would the metal variety most likely be more durable, I have found from experience that the metal magazine provides a substantially more positive connection with the rifle when installed versus the plastic magazines. Plus, the release tab on the metal magazines are more more flush with the bottom of the rifle. Keep in mind that a full magazine is more apt to fall out than an empty one, given the increased weight, and gravity. So, "accidental release" while loaded is my second concern. Replacing the plastic magazine/frame/trigger guard with a metal one will add about 10 oz. So, the overall weight would be 6 1/4 lbs. vs about 7 lbs for a Weather Warrior. These are the reasons why.

jpdown
11-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes they are interchangable with Accustock models. I have a LWH in 260. I ordered the magazine frame and trigger guard for the 10 Percision Carbine from Savage Arms. It has a matte finish that matches the LWH perfect. Pricey at $110 and did not include DBM bottom metal. So I had to purchase a extra DBM with matte bottom metal. Savage Arms parts representative claimed the parts are not interchangable. He did not want to send me the parts. After arguing with the representative for 10 minutes, I finally just ordered the parts against his objections. He marked the invoice unreturnable/nonrefundable. Works perfect. But as already stated, it is going to add 10.5 oz in weight to your LWH. Based on what I know now, I would have just ordered a metal trigger guard. After using both, I actually prefer the simpler design of plastic DBM release over the metal release. I don't think durablility is going to be an issue.