PDA

View Full Version : .270/08 AI makes meat

BobT
11-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Our Missouri firearms season opened Saturday 11/14, I just got my .270/08AI together and wanted to try it out on a whitetail . Saturday morning I passed a small buck and didn't see anything else the rest of the day. Sunday morning I didn't see anything, my hunting partners were not hunting the afternoon so I decided to try a new spot that I scouted last week. I was looking for a big buck or a nice doe for the freezer. About 4:45 pm this old gal appeared and started feeding. It took her a few minutes to get into a position where I had a good shot, I took the first shot at about 50 yards and she took off at a lope. I could see the bullet hole centered in the ribs so I didn't shoot again. She ran about 60 yards and went down in a patch of brush. I was amazed to see her get back up and start heading for a huge patch of head high brush. When she gave me another opening I gave her another one at about 120 yards,that put her down for good.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/002-2.jpg

A postmortem revealed that the 2nd. shot, which hit about an inch above the first was not needed as the first had completely destroyed the lungs.

I got all the parts for this rifle off the classifieds here except the action, 25" Douglas stainless sporter contour barrel in .270/08 AI on a newer M10 Accu-Trigger action in a Stevens stock. I am very happy with this rifle and after deer season is over I'm going to bed it into a JRS classic from Boyds and add a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger. I have a bunch of people here to thank for helping this build come together so THANK YOU ALL!

Bob

1Shot
11-16-2009, 01:07 PM
..It's always good when a plan comes together.. ;)...Try some Nosler 130gr BT's...She would'nt have made it 60yds..lol..

BobT
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey 1Shot,

That happens to be what I was shooting! After looking at the placement and the damage done I'm surprised that she went anywhere at all, both shots exited the same hole on the off side and in truth I think she was going down when I shot the 2nd. time. I was shooting the 130 grain Ballistic Silver tip ahead of 46.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a Winchester WLR primer, neither shot hit any bone they both went between ribs 1 rib apart but the lungs literally poured out of the deer when I gutted her.

Bob

tammons
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
FYI for you 277 caliber guys.

Barnes is coming out with a new 100 Gr tipped TSX pretty soon.
Specifically designed for hte 6.8 spc, but that would be a winner in a 270-08 too.

1Shot
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey 1Shot,
I was shooting the 130 grain Ballistic Silver tip

Bob

...I'm surprized you missed a rib..lol..The Silver tips are made for Winchester by Nosler..My Noslers are yellow tipped...But they should have the same jacket thickness I'ld think...Way to go no matter what.. :)...I took a nice doe with my .338 Fed. Stevens today...I was useing 200gr Nosler CT's...They worked perfect... ;D

MAGNUS
12-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I like the idea of this round.....

But i dont think i can go past the 270 AI savage

I guess it depends on the platform used ;D

BobT
12-13-2009, 12:50 AM
I have been toying with the idea of a .270 Savage for years, even before I knew that it had already been done. I decided to go with the .308 version for a couple of reasons but mainly brass availability. One of these days though I'll do a short light .300 Savage, just for stalking in the heavy stuff.

Bob