PDA

View Full Version : Model 10CFP-XP

Queequeg
11-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Greetings,

I have searched for any info on a special run of package Savage model 10cfpXP's in .308. The model 10 CFP is listed in various stocks on the Savage website but this specific package is not.

I bought one at Dick's sporting goods and am interested in any feedback from those familiar with this rifle. The scope is a Tasco Mil-Dot and clearly nothing special. The stock is not an accustock nor does it look like an H.S. precision though it is pillar bedded. Has anybody bothered bedding this stock? The accutrigger is not externally adjustable but my other three aren't either!

The butt stock pad is very squishy and I wonder if it'll tear off! The detachable magazine is new to me as my other 10s and 12 do not have them. Wondering about extended magazine options. All my Savages have been great values and we'll see how this one shoots later in the week.

Thanks in advance.

LG
11-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I have seen and handled it at my local Dick's store. It's a nice little rifle. As you said the scope is just a basic, inexpensive one, just like most package rifles you see at Dick's. It might work, but don't expect much from it. The rifle itself is pretty nice. It has a smooth barrel nut, and the bolt release is in front of the trigger guard, just like the models with the accustock. The stock is not an accustock though. The stock is a little different than the standard Savage plastic stock, it's thicker at the forend, seemed stiffer as well. The shape of the forend is similar to the VLP stock (beavertail type).

Queequeg
11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I spoke to a very nice yong lady at Savage on Monday who gave me some background on this model/configuration. It is a special package they are providing to select retailers, like Dick's, and does not come with the Accustock, H.S. stock, and of course not the McMillan. The stock is pretty flexy and will need to be modified short term and preferablt replaced in time.

I will get a chance to shoot her soon, perhaps tomorrow.

Uncle Jack
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
"I will get a chance to shoot her soon, perhaps tomorrow."

The rifle, or the nice young lady at Savage?

savageboy
11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Can u post a few pics? I would like to take a look.esp of the front of the stock

hank440
11-20-2009, 09:58 AM
The one at my Dick's store is a 10 FCPXP3 with varmint barrel and Accustock with the cheapo tasco scope in .308.

LG
11-20-2009, 10:11 AM
The one at my Dick's store is a 10 FCPXP3 with varmint barrel and Accustock with the cheapo tasco scope in .308.

I'd double check if it in fact has an accustock. The last time I went to Dicks they had two 10 FCPXP3 rifles on the rack. One of them has that big red "accustock" sticker on it. I asked to see it, and to my surprise it wasn't an accustock. I saw the other rifle as well, the one without the "accustock" sticker. Both rifles were identical, including the stock. I think some rifles might have been shipped with "accustock" stickers by mistake.

Queequeg
11-20-2009, 02:10 PM
"I will get a chance to shoot her soon, perhaps tomorrow."

The rifle, or the nice young lady at Savage?

Mr. comedy! ;D

I was thinking I'd get out today as work is a little slow and I'm itching to try this stick out. I of course refer to the rifle, not the nice young lady!

Mine is assuredly not an Accustock. I will perform some mad science to the stock until I can upgrade. Any of you gents using the extended magazines? I'm looking for the thread I saw on them here. Price seems reasonable, though I'm not insulted by deep discounts!

Thanks