View Full Version : Where you hunting Monday?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

EFBell
11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Saw one doe yesterday, that was it. None taken from our camp. Lots of rapid fire shooting all around us. The doe I saw was small and was running at full speed away from a guy that unloaded a lever gun on her, she ran into my bosses property and held up no hits on her. Later I walked around where I saw her run too and kicked her out. old man at the camp next door finally shot her. Today was miserable rainy, windy. I stayed out till noon and bagged it. Got to wait till saturday now.

kdvarmint
11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Saw one doe yesterday, that was it. None taken from our camp. Lots of rapid fire shooting all around us. The doe I saw was small and was running at full speed away from a guy that unloaded a lever gun on her, she ran into my bosses property and held up no hits on her. Later I walked around where I saw her run too and kicked her out. old man at the camp next door finally shot her. Today was miserable rainy, windy. I stayed out till noon and bagged it. Got to wait till saturday now.

"Rapid Fire" Heard a lot of that myself. In a way it usually leaves me with a feeling of the results you seen. No damage done and deer on the move. Hope for the patient.

whit
11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
hey pdog06,
Don't forget under the new law for the Mentored Youth program you can transfer 1 anterless tag to him. Also, he can shoot spikes and forkhorns.

I spent opening day in Juniata county at the wife's Grandma's farm. I had my 116 in 7mm RM and my wife had her 110 in 308 win. We saw 20 deer between us but the only buck was out of range. Doe doesn't open until Saturday in 4B.

pdog06
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
hey pdog06,
Don't forget under the new law for the Mentored Youth program you can transfer 1 anterless tag to him. Also, he can shoot spikes and forkhorns.

Where does it say that at in the rule book? That would be really sweet!

I knew about the antler size but what i read said they cannot obtain an antlerless tag, and can shoot antlered deer only(in bold print too i believe).

MaDa
11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
My grandfather had a good shot on an already once shot buck on Monday. .30-06 from about 125yds (in the chest). Knocked it down. It got back up and hightailed it. He waited then tracked it as far as he could follow the trail until it was no more. It had a blood trail leading to where he shot it and from where he shot it. Followed until the blood and tracks dried up. Then went back and followed again. Same result no deer. He did say he heard more shots being fired in the direction the deer went after it sprinted off. Different properties/parking so don't know if someone in another area collected on it or not.

Gives me wishful thinking though. I went to the same spot last year and saw one doe. That was it. He saw quite a few more than that in the area so far. Guess I'll be out Saturday.

EFBell
11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
looks to be a light harvest this year maybe. Oh well, it's early yet. Good luck guys!

Steve in PA
11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Hunted up on SGL #91, 3D in Luzerne County, still nothing.

Hunted all day Monday, didn't see anything. Heard a fair amount of shooting but didn't speak to anyone who shot a deer. I bumped into one hunter who said he heard an 8-pointer was taken over by the windmills. Say one drag mark coming out on the poweline and saw another hunter with a small racked buck near the parking lot.

Hunted half a day on Tuesday, but the rain drove me home. Didn't see or hear anything.

No hunting today as my wife and I are having out turkey today. Went to my brothers last week, so this week we have our own turkey.

I'll be out tomorrow and the rest of the season. At least it won't be mid 60's like it was on Monday and Tuesday. Highs are supposed to be mid 40's with colder nights, so maybe the deer and hunters will be moving around.

pdog06
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Well, the Savage 220f slug gun has spoken!!!! Nothing big though, but a very old buck with no teeth and both antlers busted off at the base. Good thing was it didnt have a legal point so i could use one of my doe tags on it(according to the game commission). I got lucky cause i thought it was a doe when i shot. I shot him on the run from about 60 yards away after kicking him up while walking around. Dropped him in his tracks. Man i love this gun!!

In other news, during our morning sit my cousin shot a really nice 8pt., and Ranjan1's upstate hunting camp tagged (3) 8points and (1) super nice 10point.

whit
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
pdog06,
The law was changed by the legislature after the Digest was printed. The Digest goes to the printers in April usually after the Commission meeting that finalizes the dates for the upcoming year. But since they have meetings in June or July, the laws can change and not make it in the book. If you go to the PGC website and search the press releases, you can find the announcement.
What game lands do you hunt?

pdog06
11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
hey pdog06,

Where does it say that at in the rule book? That would be really sweet!

SWEET!!!! I just found it in a link over on HuntingPa.com.. Thanks for the heads up...My son is excited, and said he wants to use ALL of my tags now... :D ::) I didnt read where it says he can only use one tag though. i dont see a limit.

from the link i found
Is the Addition of Antlerless Deer New? Yes, antlerless deer hunting was added to the line up of legal species in June, well after the 2011-12 digest went to print. However, the change has been put in place and is in effect for the 2011-12 seasons. When hunting antlerless deer, the adult mentor must be in possession of a valid antlerless deer license that can be transferred to the youth if he/she harvests an antlerless deer. The field harvest tag is to be completed by the youth and attached to the carcass; however, the reporting of the harvest is to be completed by the adult mentor as if they had harvested the deer.

whit
11-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I was at the Region office last Wed. and the Regional Law Enforcement Supervisor said it is only for one antlerless tag. I have a nine year old daughter so I wanted to make sure if she got a chance to shoot one.

whit
11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
For antlered deer, the mentored youth must use legal sporting arms for that season; for example, a bow or crossbow must be used during archery antlered deer season. Also, those youths participating in the MYHP are required to follow the same antler restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points.

In order to harvest an antlerless deer, an adult mentor may transfer a valid antlerless license issued to him or her to an eligible mentored youth upon the harvest of an antlerless deer, and a mentored youth may only receive one antlerless deer license each license year. The antlerless deer license transferred to the mentored youth must be for the Wildlife Management Unit in which the adult mentor and youth are hunting.

This is from PGC new release 095-11 dated Sept. 1, 2011

pdog06
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Cool. Thanks for settin me straight.... I just got most of my tags back...LOL

I am just glad he will have the opportunity to shoot either buck or doe. And with me hunting primarily in 5C(spec regs area), he will get alot of chances now due to our super extended doe season.

MrMajestic
11-30-2011, 10:32 PM
No deer shot through Wednesday lunchtime. Saw some every time out so my interest was maintained. Carried my 10 CFM in 7.62X39 due to the weather on Tuesday and when I pulled up on three Doe the scope lens were covered with rain drops and I couldn't find them, Dooh! :( Not to get off subject but how many of you PA guys had ticks? Got several Monday and Tuesday. Who would have guessed that at the end of November!

thomae
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Carried my 10 CFM in 7.62X39 due to the weather on Tuesday

What Ammo are you using? Factory or handload?

MrMajestic
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Carried my 10 CFM in 7.62X39 due to the weather on Tuesday

What Ammo are you using? Factory or handload?

Handload- Lapua case, 110 gr. Barnes TTSX, CCI BR-2, undisclosed amount of Vhitavuori N-120 to acheive 2742 fps avg.

pdog06
12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Not to get off subject but how many of you PA guys had ticks? Got several Monday and Tuesday. Who would have guessed that at the end of November!

Not ticks here.

thomae
12-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Handload- Lapua case, 110 gr. Barnes TTSX, CCI BR-2, undisclosed amount of Vhitavuori N-120 to acheive 2742 fps avg.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. Do you find that N120 works better for you than AA1680 at other weights?
FWIW, right now I'm using S&B brass, CCI 200 primers, shooting various 150 grain pills over an appropriate amount of H4895. I have open sights, so i only need an effective range of about 200 yards or so. I am taking the heavy and slow route.

Ok, end of hijacked thread. :)

Oh, and I have not yet gotten any ticks this year. I did see a roadkill deer a couple of days ago, a button buck, and he had lots of ticks on him. At least two on his fawnmaker. Just another incentive to use gloves when gutting and skinning.

kdvarmint
12-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Not to get off subject but how many of you PA guys had ticks? Got several Monday and Tuesday. Who would have guessed that at the end of November!

Not ticks here.

Every single time I go in the woods. They don't give up easy. Still pullin them of the cats. Got me thinkin now I'll have to pay attention to how cold it gets till they stop showin up on the cat.

MrMajestic
12-02-2011, 08:18 PM
[size=8pt][color=purple]Do you find that N120 works better for you than AA1680 at other weights?

Just more velocity at safe pressure, in my rifle, for hunting. I will try it with the 110 gr. V-Max which worked well with 1680 after the season. Right now it's far from sub MOA but still MOD(minute of deer).