View Full Version : HELP !!! Please

Pages : 1 [2]

bythebook
12-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I checked some of my cases and could not find any that looked like they had a donut in them. I did check my firing pin though and it had a protrusion of .067 and I reset back too .049 and may set it back a little farther if I need to. I hope this fixes my problem of periced primers.

I want to thank Billpa for his instructions and photos and also suggestions on this website as they are a great help.

Elkbane
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Book,
Your question made me curious about carbon cleaners, soi I tried a test. I had a 7-08 barrel that had been shot quite a bit and cleaned it with my normal methods until it was "clean". Then I sprayed it down inside with Seafoam "Deep creep", a marine carbon cleaner. let it sit fro 30 minutes. Then I brushed it again with a bronze brush wet with Butches Bore Shine.

Just spraying it didn't really dissolve the carbon (like nothing oozing out the muzzle), but I raise a good bit more of the carbon when I brushed it. I repeated this process 2 times and got additional carbon out each time. It fell off significantly the third time and was negligible on the fourth. My theory is that carbon is tough and the carbon killer softens it up where a bronze brush can remove it. YMMV.
ELkbane

bythebook
12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Elkbane I am inclined to agree with you on that, based on my experance with this barrel. I scrubbed it with a bronze brush and outers foam cleaner. Then ran a patch soaked in Kroil through it, and then left it set over night, I did this several times. After that I used the carbon cleaner from Merc. Marine and left it set for a 1/2 hour, I did this several times also. After each treatment it was scrubbed with kroil and a bronze brush. It now comes out clean and if it is still dirty I give up and it will be replaced. I also scrubbed it with a well worn 20 Cal. brush wrapped in enough 0000 steel wool to fit snug and soaked in Kroil. This barrel shot in the .2 s and 3. s pretty regularly for the first 150 rounds and even managed one .176 group early on I hope it returns.